Ring Treatment (Ferrara/Intacs)

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

taylan
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Ring Treatment (Ferrara/Intacs)

Postby taylan » Mon 27 Jun 2022 11:06 am

Hi everybody,

I had cross linking on both eyes almost 6 years ago, right eye is okay but the left is horrible. I've tried many contact lenses, RGP lens gives me perfect vision but I can't even open my eye after an hour.
I was told to get this treatment for better vision but they also said that I'll need to use contact lenses after ring to get better vision.
Has anybody had this?

Thanks.

Lia Williams

Re: Ring Treatment (Ferrara/Intacs)

Postby Lia Williams » Tue 28 Jun 2022 8:40 am

Hi Taylan,

Very view forum users have had Intacs. You can use the forum search box to read about their experiences.

As I understand it the aim of Intacs is to flatten the cornea to improve vision and to make it easier to fit a contact lens. If they don't work they can be removed.

Do you know why you are finding it difficult to open your eye after an hour? In my case, after many years, I was prescribed a lens for my right eye which had no residual ghosting, I was delighted. However after three weeks lens wear was suddenly down to an hour for no apparent reason. I could wear my old lens (which the hospital wanted to replace due to its age and poor fit) for the next couple of weeks while my eye recovered. Then the cycle would repeat, although I could never get the problem to occur when I went for an appointment!

The problem was solved by piggy backing the RGP with a soft disposable lens underneath.

It could be worth trying to find out why you are only getting an hour's wear from your lens and seeing if a more comfortable lens can be found. There are lots of different types and it can take many appointments to find the find the best compromise of vision and comfort.

Lia

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Ring Treatment (Ferrara/Intacs)

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 28 Jun 2022 8:42 am

As Lia says, if you put Intacs into the search engine of this forum, you'll find lots of posts discussing this treatment. Of course, because people tend to post on forums when they have problems, you'll probably find a bias towards negative comments, which may not be a fair reflection.
For some views from the medics, have a look at our newsletters https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... wsletters/ Corneal rings were mentioned in talks about options for KC by consultants Bita Manzouri and Damian Lake in the Summer 2021 newsletter and the Winter 2018 one.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”