Moorfields exceeds expectations - Attend Anywhere

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Moorfields exceeds expectations - Attend Anywhere

Postby gsward » Mon 09 May 2022 4:39 pm

I have a corneal graft that was done in November 2021 and all is generally all is well with it. So far I have had about 6 of the 18 sutures (stitches) removed, either to improve the vision or because they had become loose. Currently, for other reasons, my health is compromised and I need to isolate myself whilst I am having treatment unrelated to my eye.

On Saturday, I suspected I had another loose suture - I ignored it and used some lubricating drops which temporarily eased the discomfort. Sunday, it was still an issue and checking in a magnifying mirror I could see the edge of the suture that was probably causing the problem.

So I called Moorfields A&E Video "Attend Anywhere" service. I was triaged within minutes and then there were 8 in the queue to speak to a doctor, which was about 30 minutes wait. (It's "free" as it's an online call). After explaining my challenging circumstances and that I was 90 minutes from Moorfields by train, we agreed the best plan to arrive early evening on Sunday as that was often quiet time. I made the journey and turned up at A&E at 6.15 pm. There was no queue! I was expected as my video consultation had forwarned the A&E team. Following a few basic checks with a nurse (vision, pressures, etc.) I was in front of a doctor. Within 40 minutes the offending suture was out! I just had to wait 15 minutes for the pharmacist to bring my steroid and antibiotic drops.

So in all, after just over 1 hour I was on my way home again.

This service is only for Moorfields patients, but if you are in difficulty or live a long way away I can highly recommend the "Attend Anywhere" service.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Moorfields exceeds expectations - Attend Anywhere

Postby space_cadet » Sun 15 May 2022 6:45 pm

what a fantastic service :) x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Return to “General Discussion Forum”