Can't seem to fit a proper contact lens

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

mariopoma
Vision: Contact lenses

Can't seem to fit a proper contact lens

Postby mariopoma » Tue 19 Apr 2022 1:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I would like to ask I question to which I can't find an answer on a normal Google search. I have Keratoconus on both eyes, both with different degrees. On my right eye I have a very poor vision with glasses but I recently got a RGP lens fitted with which I get perfect vision. On my left eye, however, I have a milder Keratoconus and I can see well enough with glasses, but I can't seem to be able to fit a perfect contact lens. My optometrist tried f irst with a soft lens, and I could see very well with it but in the darkness I saw a huge shadow upwards when looking at any light source. Now we are trying with a RGP and again, I see well, but there is a shadow, this time downwards.

Any thoughts? Should I assume that we have just not found a perfect fit for my left eye?

During the day and at work when there is plenty of light this is not a problem but as soon as I go to some darker place or it gets dark outside it starts being very uncomfortable.

Thank you for reading!

Lia Williams

Re: Can't seem to fit a proper contact lens

Postby Lia Williams » Wed 20 Apr 2022 4:45 pm

mariopoma wrote:Any thoughts? Should I assume that we have just not found a perfect fit for my left eye?

I think that is probably the case.

Sometimes the fitting of a lens for keratoconus can be described as being as much as an art as a science. About ten years ago I was having a refit for my contact lenses and I had multiple visits to the hospital eye department in search of the most suitable lenses for my eyes. Not only does the lens need to give good vision but it also needs to be comfortable and a good healthy fit. I've had lenses that gave me excellent vision but the fit was not a healthy one, and I've had ones that fitted well but I've not liked the vision due the residual ghosting or flares at the edge of my vision.

Eventually a compromise was found and subsequent lens replacements have been straightforward.

So hopefully you too will be found a suitable lens for both eyes.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”