Moorfields overnight?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Moorfields overnight?

Postby Green » Sun 17 Apr 2022 7:42 am

Is it me or has the hostel bit disappeared from the website and 'staying overnight' lists hotels.
This is wrong, after my last operation I was (unexpectedly) in a very high level of pain. I couldn't open the other eye because it then hurt the operated eye even more, so I was fully blind, without pain relief, and the journey home in the cab frankly traumatic. He drove carefully and slowly but every movement hurt badly. It's no joke being in that position and what of people who can't afford a hotel room for themselves & a relative or friend.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: Moorfields overnight?

Postby space_cadet » Tue 19 Apr 2022 9:59 pm

When i had my first transplant in Leeds they kept me in over night due to complications they then wouldnt discharge me unless a friend or family member came to get me, i libed 10 min walk n 6 lampposts to bump into away, my now ex husband refused to come for me with “its not far they can walk” hospital refusedd ai ended up calling friends all were busy or out of townC in the end i rung the local cab firk who i knew a lot of dilricers for one of them came to the ward n collected me n took me home
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Moorfields overnight?

Postby Green » Wed 20 Apr 2022 8:26 am

That sounds really hard Space Cadet.
I just think it's wrong to have zero provision for people in a lot of pain, unable to open eyes, or distance. Why not at least have a room, 2 beds (1 for a relative) even for a nominal price for these situations?

Would the group support such a proposal?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”