Public perception of visual impairment

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Public perception of visual impairment

Postby Green » Tue 12 Apr 2022 6:06 pm

Today Claire Sisko on the news, a registered blind person speaking about being called a faker because of makeup, using a mobile phone, I'm sure many of us can relate to this, the difficulty of being at opposite ends of the chart with & without lenses for example.

Variable visual impairment via registration looks impossible, but asking optometry to issue a card or template letter would be within possibility, but it needs to come from a patient group.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: Public perception of visual impairment

Postby space_cadet » Thu 14 Apr 2022 6:54 pm

As someone unable to get sight improvement or glasses so is registered blind anduses a long cane due to KC (and other things picked up along the way) i find myself having to regularily remind sighted folx that “blind” is a spectrum n not just a case of lights on. Or off so to speak. I am frequentlyadked how i use my phone, have had kids, wear make up, dye y hair, and do all manor of things. There is no right or wrong way to be blind. But what irks me is when i hear “ i am blind without my glasses” well no actually your not as your glasses give you usable vision i n many others can only dream of having so dont use your privlidge as a weapon against us as it isnt a game of top trumps
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Public perception of visual impairment

Postby Green » Sun 17 Apr 2022 7:34 am

Absolutely agree

Return to “General Discussion Forum”