Before and after - Crosslinking

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

McIzzerson
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Before and after - Crosslinking

Postby McIzzerson » Fri 29 Oct 2021 3:18 pm

Hi all

First post here. Was diagnosed with KC in 2010 in my late teens-early 20s, and I have intracorneal rings in both eyes. The condition then improved greatly and I thought "that was it" and buried my head in the sand... how wrong I was, but hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose.

I'm now 32 and my KC has gotten significantly worse to the point it impacts my day to day life and can get me down at times. After 2 appointments at Moorfields (one via the NHS and another privately), I am booked in for TransPTK and crosslinking later this month. I have opted for having this done privately as the NHS doesn't cover the TransPTK.

I would be keen to hear others experiences before and after TransPTK and/or Crosslinking - was the procedure successful? did your vision/quality of life improve after the Crosslinking?

Thanks all!

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Before and after - Crosslinking

Postby RedOnion » Fri 29 Oct 2021 7:32 pm

Welcome to the forum! I was the same age as you when I had mine done. I only had cross linking done and I’ve been told the procedure was a success. You are right and it can get you down at times. I learned to accept it and seem to cope with it now.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones and have had some slight improvements to vision. I can’t say quality of life has gotten better but I think that’s because I managed to have the condition arrested at almost the right time. Earlier would have been better but that’s a whole other story.

I experienced pretty nasty pain in one eye (the first and worst eye) for a couple of days after whilst the second eye was fine except for some discomfort.

I hope it all goes well for you. Please keep us posted as to how it all goes!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”