Anybody had cross linking done at Moorfields please advice

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sammyvine9090
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Anybody had cross linking done at Moorfields please advice

Postby sammyvine9090 » Thu 16 Sep 2021 10:48 pm

Hi all.

I have my cross linking procedure coming up in the next couple of weeks and I am very worried. I understand this is a pretty safe procedure but I can't help be scared because the operation is taking place in my eyes!
I just wanted to ask a few things. I will be doing the procedure in Moorfields Eye Hospital in London which has a very good reputation however the said they are going to do both eyes at the same time! Is this too much and should I ask to do only one eye and come back for the second eye to be done? I have read that most people only do one eye at a time and then wait a couple of weeks/months to do the second eye, however Moorfields seem to be okay with doing both eyes at the same time? Won't it be very difficult to see afterwards?
Also how bad is the pain after the procedure? That is also what is scaring me:(

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Anybody had cross linking done at Moorfields please advice

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 20 Sep 2021 4:02 pm

Hi Sammy and welcome,
I'm sorry no-one who has had CXL here has replied to you yet. But have a look at our Spring 2021 newsletter https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... wsletters/ where you'll find a summary of a Zoom meeting where people talked about their experiences earlier in the year. There's also lots of posts on the topic on this forum. Pain seems to vary quite a lot between one person and another, but of course the hospital will give pain relief. I think part of the reason Moorfields offer to do two eyes at once is to get that pain over in one go rather than possibly going through it again for the second eye. But it's your eyes and your decision. So if you'd be happier doing one eye at a time, you have every right to say so and to have it done that way. All the best, whatever you decide.

sammyvine9090

Postby sammyvine9090 » Tue 21 Sep 2021 10:45 pm

Anybody?

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Postby RedOnion » Wed 22 Sep 2021 2:50 pm

I didn’t get mine done at Moorfields but my own experience was that I had my left (weakest) done first with the right done six weeks after.

My left was pretty bad and it was pretty sore for the next day and it started to subside over a few days. Vision was bad for a few weeks in that eye before starting to recover. The vision is far better now and there’s even been an improvement.

My right eye was actually fine, I had very little pain and vision was grand after a couple of days. It was really just light sensitivity I had for around a week before I was back to normal.

Everybody’s experience is different but I hope that helps a little :)

ClareNZ
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby ClareNZ » Sun 28 Nov 2021 12:51 am

Not had surgery at Moorefield, but our son has just had both eyes done at the same time in NZ where we're currently living. He had epi-off on his really bad right eye and epi-on on his better left eye. The first night he was in terrible pain but this had definitely improved by lunchtime the next day on regular panadol, diclofenac and codeine and all his eye drops. 24 hours post procedure both eyes were feeling much more manageable and we both got a good nights sleep. His left eye now feels fine (still on painkillers but reduced dose) and his right eye just feels gritty and uncomfortable. He's really photosensitive in both eyes but is managing to get from bed to bathroom ok. I'm providing room service for meals! Follow up at 1 week. He's glad he had them both done at the same time, as although the pain was terrible for the first 18 hours he wouldn't like to think about going back a second time for the other eye. Hope this helps if you've not gone ahead with the procedure yet

Return to “General Discussion Forum”