Vision with scleral lens worse than with RGP

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

PJRK20
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Vision with scleral lens worse than with RGP

Postby PJRK20 » Sun 12 Sep 2021 6:58 am

Hi, I am on my 3rd scleral lens for my left eye. Each time I see my optometrist and he tests the eye I achieve a decent level of vision during the test, still not as good as the RGP. However, when the actual lens arrives the vision is a lot poorer than what I achieved during the test. This is really frustrating and I don’t understand the reasons behind this. My optometrist doesn’t seem to know either. I have considerable scarring on the left eye. Should I get a 2nd opinion to see if another optometrist can get to the bottom of it or persevere? Thanks

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Vision with scleral lens worse than with RGP

Postby gsward » Sun 12 Sep 2021 8:03 am

Is this after the lens has been in a awhile at home? This is a settling problem and can be addressed by leaving the trial lens in for an hour or so and retesting.

There are some tricky calculations during an eye test working out what lens to order based on the trial lens and the Refraction test over the top. But it might be worth getting to hem to check what has actually arrived.

Finally, I've had an opthalmic anomaly where with a trial lens I get the same vision with a +1 and a -1 lens. Your opthalmist should be able to work out what is going on here.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”