Full thickness cornea graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Re: Full thickness cornea graft

Postby Paula1969 » Fri 27 Aug 2021 10:03 am

Thankyou everyone
Lots of useful tips.
I've spoken to him and he's fine, he's been seen by the consultant this morning checking the graft and pressure ect. His next appointment is on Wednesday. The eye clinic gave me a list of numbers for emergency stuff ect so we're all sorted on that front. He's not got a bandage lens on they said if he can manage its best not to have one, he says he can blink OK over the stitches but from Reading posts on here I know that might change. I had been on the rnib website too looking at info ect. I'm also in touch with acas re the work situation.

Hell be glad to get home the food want great in the hospital. The nurses though and all the staff can't be faulted.

He will be resting a lot ill make sure of that.

Paula

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Fri 27 Aug 2021 10:11 am

That's all sounds good. Many of us found the discomfort at lot less than we imagined it might be, perhaps a bit "scratchy" as it starts to heal but nothing that regular pain killers wouldn't take the edge off.

Graham

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paula1969 » Fri 27 Aug 2021 1:34 pm

He's still in hospital. The pressure in his eye is too high don't understand the numbers but 53 was mentioned. They gave him some pills but it's stll high and he's, waiting to see the consultant to find out what she wants to do.

The only thing that has annoyed me is the fact none of the nurses explained to him he'd to just lie in bed so the blooming dope has been pottering round and watching blooming you tube videos on his phone. He hadn't a clue he'd to just lie on his side untill the consultant saw him and told him to. Maybe they did tell him but in his confused post op state nothing sunk in.

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paula1969 » Fri 27 Aug 2021 2:57 pm

Update they've used a, lazer to put a tiny hole in his eye to release pressure now he's to lie on his stomach and they'll check him in a while.

On it rumbles I've said don't be blooming watching you tube yer dozy sod.... I think it's sinking in that he's to do as he's told.

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paula1969 » Fri 27 Aug 2021 8:38 pm

He's had to have some drugs given intravenously, then he's had to have the pressure released by needles inserted manually into the eye. Finally the pressure is down and normal, now he's haveing some sort of drops put in his eyes every 10 minutes. He's staying overnight in hospital. None of this was every mentioned as a could happen event during prior consultations. I feel so sorry for him. What a, saga I wish he'd just not bothered haveing it done.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 28 Aug 2021 8:15 am

So sorry that things are proving much more complicated. I do hope it's all looking better this morning and the pressure continues to be under control. There are always risks with any surgery and I guess it's all much more unpredictable when it's being done because of an injury to the eye. It's a very worrying and stressful time for you both. But in spite of these setbacks, I hope it will all prove to have been worth it in the end.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Sat 28 Aug 2021 8:18 am

Paula, this is still very early days. Increased pressure in the eye does occur in some patients, but certainly not all. There are multiple causes but the treatment he is having (laser therapy and the drops) is the normal approach. They will continue to monitor him closely now. It is unlikely anything your husband has done has caused this and as long as he gets his rest and sticks to using all the drops exactly as instructed he should be optimistic about the long term outcome. Unfortunately fixing the eye is not like fixing your car! It does have the advantage that it is easily accessible to doctors and they can generally work out what is going on and what to do.

Take care, of him and you.

Graham

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paula1969 » Sat 28 Aug 2021 10:12 am

Ta everyone.
I just feel for him with all he's been put through he isn't old but neither is he a spring chicken he's 58 and this all kicked of on 21st July with the eye injury.

He's still waiting for the Dr's to see him this morning, who knows when they come round. He had a rough night and his eye looks so soar this morning very blood shot, he's a right shiner with all the bruising.

He's not in any pain though he's just fed up and wants to come home.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Sat 28 Aug 2021 11:30 am

Yes, I can imagine it looks dramatic but the blood shot eye should fade over the next week or so. The bruising is usually caused by the clamps they use during the operation, and in his case it was a good long time, but that too should clear in a couple of weeks.

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paula1969 » Sat 28 Aug 2021 2:54 pm

He's home, lots and lots of different drops but not realy any instructions on when or how to give just dosage and mum er of times. My husband said nurses were putting some sort of drop in his, eye every 10 minutes .

Just glad he's home. He's not allowed to do much for 2 weeks. Just rest.

The recovery begins.... I'm trying to be positive.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”