Full thickness cornea graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Full thickness cornea graft

Postby Paula1969 » Sat 21 Aug 2021 8:02 am

My husband had a eye I jury 4 weeks ago a screw penetrated his cornea, consequently he needed an emergency operation to close the wound and the lens was completely detached. This is the only forum I've found talking about cornea transplants. He's due to have a full thickness transplant on 26th August and they'll remove the destroyed lens also. He's of work on the sick at the moment, he works as a roofer.

It sounds like it's going to be a long job and a long recovery. Just wanting to know what to expect, how long do people tend to be of work if you're job is physical.

The consultant can't guarantee the sight can be improved it's just a, waiting game.

Thankyou.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Full thickness cornea graft

Postby gsward » Sat 21 Aug 2021 4:33 pm

Really sorry for your husband, and you. Yes, we are a group who can end up with a corneal transplant but for medical reasons. Basically when the cornea is so distorted good vision cannot be achieved with spectacles or any of the different contact lenses. As it happens I had a full-thickness transplant in January 2019 and needed a cataract operation on the same eye so effectively I have ended up with the same outcome of a transplanted cornea and new lens. There is a possibility I may need it repeating on the other eye and I actually discussed with the surgeon the option of doing both together - it can be done but not all that common.

Your husband's situation is somewhat different as his surgeon has the effects of the trauma on his eye to deal with. It's times like these you're glad we normally have two functioning eyes. I quite understand that his surgeon can't offer guarantees because there are so many unknowns. However, from your perspective, I would be reasonably optimistic of the long-term outcome - even if it doesn't feel too good in the days following the operation. The important thing is to get plenty of rest, literally lying down, not rushing around. So get the music and audiobooks lined up. Stick rigorously the regime of drops you are given after the operation - they are really important. It is hard to say how long it is going to take, but I felt "good" at 12 weeks and at 6 months, the hospital was happy to fit a contact lens over the top as things had healed well. It is difficult for us to advise how long he will need to avoid heavier work, particularly with the nature of his job. There are guidelines but it will depend on how the surgeon sees the healing going. You have possibly read it already but there is some good clear advice here from the NHS.

Where is he being treated?

Keep us updated on how things go and do come back if you have more questions.

Wishing him all the best.

Graham

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paula1969 » Mon 23 Aug 2021 2:16 pm

Thankyou for you're responce

We live in West Yorkshire and the care and operations are shared between huddersfield and Halifax. The consultants seem very good and on the ball exaining the operation but they don't realy tell you everything hence I'm trawling the Internet for first hand experience.

He was given the option of doing absolutely nothing, he's one good eye after all, but he wants to proceed. I must admit I'm worried that it will just bring further complications and constantly haveing to be back and forth to hospitals.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Mon 23 Aug 2021 2:43 pm

It's good that he wants to go ahead. I could guess he hasn't got any vision at all from that eye and it is in a pretty post-traumatised state. I know our situation is different but for those of us with Keratoconus, when we get to the point there are no other options it is usually pretty clear and you have not much to lose by going ahead with the operation. The general rule is to work on the worse eye first. So your husband's decision is clear. There is an article on our website intended for KC patients but it does have some good general advice and balances the arguments about the benefits etc.

The general pattern after the operation is you're likely to be seen again within the first week of the operation, then a couple of weeks and maybe a month after that. If all goes to plan the appointments get further apart. At two years, I get seen at 6-month intervals.

As I said earlier, we wish him all the best for Thursday.

Graham

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paula1969 » Mon 23 Aug 2021 3:16 pm

All he can see out of the injured eye is the fact its, either dark or sunny. The screw went in the eyeball then made a, 10 pm to 5pm horizontal slash across the cornea, then fell out, all the jelly stuff came through the hole, the operation just shoved it back and closed the wound. Now there doing a graft.

He's, been on steroid drops, antibiotic drops and tablets and eye lubricating drops ever since, he's, wearing sun glasses due to sensativity. Everything in out lives altered the second he got hurt, no working, no wage just ssp, he's the main bread winner, we've put in for universal credit but it's a long process, plus his boss says he might not be allowed to work on a roof again and that's, what they do. It's been stressful and worrying. But you plod on.

I'll let you know how he gets on.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 25 Aug 2021 9:49 am

Wishing your husband all the very best for tomorrow. And do come back with any questions in the days and weeks following the operation. There's quite a few of us here who have had grafts and cataract operations and can share our experiences.

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paula1969 » Thu 26 Aug 2021 2:51 am

3.46 am not slept well. He goes into hospital today at 7 am. Be glad when it's done and he's home. They've booked a bed I case he's to stay in overnight. I just hope the operation goes ahead because they did say there's always a chance it could be cancelled.

Thanks for the support and information.

Paula1969
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paula1969 » Thu 26 Aug 2021 6:06 pm

He was in surgery 6 hours. They removed the detached lens and did the cornea transplant. He fingers x can come home tommorrow.

Been a long stressful day I just hope it's going to be worth it for him in the long run.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Thu 26 Aug 2021 6:30 pm

thinking of you n your husband x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Thu 26 Aug 2021 6:32 pm

Good to be on the other side now. Remember, rest, rest, rest when he gets home. After a few days when the anaesthetic is completely out of him he should feel a lot better. You'll probably get to know tomorrow when he is due for his first check-up. It's also worth asking if there is a number you can call if you have any concerns in the coming days. Many hospitals get you to phone the ward he was on in the first instance, but do ask.

For the longer term, some of our patients have got a lot of help from the RNIB (you do not need to be blind, lost sight in both eyes, or it to be permanent to use their service). We have heard some good feedback on patient's issues and also how best to tackle the work situation for the future. Here is the link, but they are closed until Tuesday this weekend.

Graham

Return to “General Discussion Forum”