DMEK and cataract surgery

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

DMEK and cataract surgery

Postby Green » Thu 29 Jul 2021 1:49 pm

I'm going to be having a DMEK & on my failed PK and cataract (done together), thankfully under GA.

Was wondering whether anyone else here has had DMEK for failed PK, or joint DMEK & cataract op, your experience, any tips for post op self-care?

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: DMEK and cataract surgery

Postby gsward » Thu 29 Jul 2021 8:00 pm

That's an interesting approach, at least you're not having a full PK again, so your surgeon must be reasonably confident. I would still treat your recovery as before and get as much rest as you can, stick to you drops routine etc. etc. I did actually have to have a cataract done as soon as possible after my PK which was a bit of a worry but all went fine. I'm now over a year further on and all seems OK. I've had the discussion about the other eye, not wishing to be in the same position again but my surgeon has assured me that doing a PK and cataract together might be the sensible option even though the cataract on its own doesn't warrant doing yet.

BTW, I'd guess they would want you to consent to a PK in case things work out differently during the operation.

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: DMEK and cataract surgery

Postby Green » Sat 31 Jul 2021 10:36 am

Thanks gsward, I'm not sure they could go to a PK given it's a regraft and it's quite large. I've read about DMEK & cataract being done at the same time, I guess less interference keep going back in? There's definitely trepidation about grafted eyes being further operated on. I do worry a lot about my "good" eye I've relied on all my life, the cataract is mild there, hence the desire for back up in my duff eye.
Some reading on DMEK suggested lying down more in the first few days but I'll check with the surgeon.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”