Moorfields optometry

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Moorfields optometry

Postby Green » Fri 02 Jul 2021 8:41 am

I've always been seen every 6 months, now changed to annual because it was fine during pandemic and is stable, call if there's a problem.
The only difficulty with that is if there's a problem and you call, no one ever gets back to you, so it really is scheduled appt or bad enough for A&E.

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Moorfields optometry

Postby Green » Sun 04 Jul 2021 1:46 pm

I know for a fact I'm not alone, other patients have said to me about if there's an issue it's a worry having to wait till the next scheduled appt or it needing to be bad enough for A&E.
This might be especially pertinent with a refit, where follow up is best sooner and we can always reschedule if it's going OK.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Sun 04 Jul 2021 2:44 pm

Some options I have used over the last 18 months.

If you don't have the direct number for the clinic you attend (the automated system gets you there "Optometry" - "Contact lens") - ask for the number on a future visit.
They were having daily meetings at the start of each clinic to review any callbacks, issues etc.
I have always found it best to call on the day you normally attend as you will tend to get the right team then.
The appointments team can also ask the clinic to bring your appointment forward if you are having issues, pain or discomfort.

Other options:
The general Nurse-led help-line can be another way in, as they can get a message to your clinic.
Or even the Moorfields A&E Attend Anywhere (although not intended for this purpose) may be a way to make contact with your clinic.

Bear in mind the situation may change as Covid19 procedures are possibly relaxed.

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Sun 04 Jul 2021 3:20 pm

I know how to call up and ask for optometry, just never received a call back, not attempted via the nurse helpline.
I wouldn't like to use the A&E emergency video link unless it was an ophthalmic emergency rather than a lens related issue, but if that was the only way then yes I would.

taylan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby taylan » Sat 10 Jul 2021 9:15 pm

I have been in the Uk for 9 months work situation. I've always been seen every 6 months in my country and I wanted to visit the hospital in January as usual. It was so difficult to get an appointment in Moorfield. I went to GP and explained my problem and KC. They referred to me to Specsavers :shock: I went to Specsavers and opticians sent back to me to GP. Gp referred me to Moorfield then I started waiting for them to contact me. I phoned them after 3 weeks and I was told to wait because I was on the review list. I phoned them every 2 weeks and my appointment request was rejected the first week of June. I called GP again and explained everything, they referred to me Moorfield. Finally, They gave me an appointment end of August. My right eye which is better than my left is getting worse day by day. I'm really worried about it.

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Sat 10 Jul 2021 11:32 pm

I'm really sorry that's happened Taylan.

I have to say I'm not at all happy with my appts being cut after 30 yrs being reliant on 1 eye

Return to “General Discussion Forum”