DIZZINESS/DISORIENTATION

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Fishyfishy
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

DIZZINESS/DISORIENTATION

Postby Fishyfishy » Fri 07 May 2021 8:33 pm

Hey guys I’m 22 and just got diagnosed with KC but I recently for the past month I’ve been feeling lightheaded and disoriented especially during the evening when the sun is super bright. I’m a day trader so I have to stare at the computer a lot of and I noticed whenever I do I feel 10x worse so I haven’t been able to trade in a while. I’m getting RGB lenses next week but I want to know if KC is causing my dizziness. I’ve already been to a neurologist and gotten a mri and they said everything is fine with my brain.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: DIZZINESS/DISORIENTATION

Postby gsward » Sat 08 May 2021 9:34 am

My guess is your occupation and pattern of work is contributing to your dizziness. When you are not working are you completely away from the computer screen (and phone)? You suggest it is then significantly better. If your eyes without your RGP lenses are not 'balanced' it too could contribute to the problem.

Recently Moorfields published some good general advice on this problem https://www.moorfields-private.co.uk/news/news-article/is-tech-taking-its-toll-on-your-eye-health

Are you being seen at a hospital for your KC? It might be best to discuss it at your next visit. Maybe take one step at a time and see how it goes with your new lenses.

Graham

Fishyfishy

Postby Fishyfishy » Mon 10 May 2021 7:29 pm

gsward wrote:My guess is your occupation and pattern of work is contributing to your dizziness. When you are not working are you completely away from the computer screen (and phone)? You suggest it is then significantly better. If your eyes without your RGP lenses are not 'balanced' it too could contribute to the problem.

Recently Moorfields published some good general advice on this problem https://www.moorfields-private.co.uk/news/news-article/is-tech-taking-its-toll-on-your-eye-health

Are you being seen at a hospital for your KC? It might be best to discuss it at your next visit. Maybe take one step at a time and see how it goes with your new lenses.

Graham

Hi no sometimes I still use my phone a lot. Usually the dizziness would go away when I rest my eyes but now it’s been persistent for 2 weeks. Another thing I noticed is my neck jaw and shoulders are always tense or hurting this is really annoying though since I’m so young and want to do stuff but this is holding me back

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Wed 12 May 2021 7:12 am

I think I would try and rule out the work/IT related factors first and if things don't improve discuss with your optometrists after you have given your new lenses a few weeks to settle in.

Let us know how this go.

Graham

Fishyfishy

Postby Fishyfishy » Wed 12 May 2021 3:43 pm

Just got the lenses and I feel better but I think my dizziness and disorientation came from a migraine from straining my eyes to see and anxiety about the contacts working. I just hope I’ll be able to stay at this level with the KC.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Wed 12 May 2021 3:58 pm

That's encouraging. I think one of the best tips for KC is recognising that you need to manage it from day to day. If something is not as good as it was try and work out what might be different. Things may change in the long term and you will probably begin to recognise that too.

You might find an article on our website a helpful read Good Eye Days, Bad Eye Days

Graham

Return to “General Discussion Forum”