KC on one eye

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jackmatey
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

KC on one eye

Postby Jackmatey » Fri 07 May 2021 1:01 am

Hi guys,

I just found this forum so it's nice to see there is a good community out here. I have been diagnosed with KC since I was 22 and I am now 25. I have only had it on my left eye and I have had cxl done last year on my left eye. My right eye is completely normal and has no signs of KC at all but after reading some stuff online I have realised there might be a possibility I might gain KC on my right eye. I have checkups with the hospital every 6 months as most of you would know and my next checkup is coming up in June. So out of fear of getting it in my right eye I went to a private clinic and did a consultation with a doctor to get cxl on my right eye. The doctor told me the risks and he told me essentially there is a chance of scarring and worsening the perfect right eye that I have already. I then decided not to go ahead and also forgot about it as it wasn't affecting my life at all as I could do everything basically. I am just wondering is it possible for my right eye to never ever have the possibility of getting KC or is there anyone out there that has KC in on eye for numerous years.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: KC on one eye

Postby gsward » Fri 07 May 2021 7:47 am

Hi,

That was good advice from the consultant you saw. The principle is always "do no harm" and ideally don't do anything that reduces your options later.

It is probably true that most of us have KC in both eyes, but it is not uncommon for it to only be noticeable in one eye. What is certainly true is that the rate of progression can be completely different in your two eyes. A six-month check-up is a good plan but they might move you onto a 12-month review - really depends on the hospital policy. So stick with those appointments. If the hospital does decide to eventually discharge you, you need to be seen by a high-street optician who has some KC experience as it often gets missed as astigmatism in the early stages.

Graham

Return to “General Discussion Forum”