Eye drops?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Kimble
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Eye drops?

Postby Kimble » Mon 03 May 2021 2:04 pm

Hi, I am new to the site. I have 2 sons 19 and 21 years with KC. Both had cross-linkage procedures and suffer with allergies and on permanent anti histamine med. Looking for eye drop recommendations please.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Eye drops?

Postby gsward » Mon 03 May 2021 3:58 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Really it would not be a good idea for us to recommend eyedrops for you. If you have KC and are suffering from allergies, which is very common as the two often occur together, you should be talking to your consultant / doctor about medication. Where are you being seen? Hospital or high street optician?

There are probably as many approaches to managing this as there are patients and its about working through the different options to see what works for you. To give you an idea of the different directions. Sometimes the problem can be alleviated just with lubricating drops (like Celluvisc or Hylo Forte) but that also depends on what contact lenses you are wearing (if any). Many patients are put on Opatanol which is a long-term antihistamine and takes a while to turn things around but often works well. In the short-term oral antihistamine/hay fever tablets (over the counter) work for some. You should not be trying a DIY approach though.

The other complication is what you think / feels like allergy could actually be a dry-eye condition which needs managing differently.

This should all be prescribed and if the hospital says you need medication your GP should be able to cover the repeat prescriptions. In fact a letter from your hospital to your GP explaining the strategy can be helpful so you can be managed locally.

Graham

Return to “General Discussion Forum”