Corneal transplant on Tuesday

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Rekeh
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Corneal transplant on Tuesday

Postby Rekeh » Sun 02 May 2021 2:40 pm

Hi everyone my first post here but I've followed the board for quite a few years and it's been absolutely invaluable.

I have had Kerataconus for just gone twenty years now in both eyes and have managed up to this point with scleral lenses more so in the left eye than the right due to the complexity of fitting a lens in the right. They have now decided to move forward with a full thickness graft of the right cornea (been told that's the only option as a partial wouldn't be possible).

Due to the current climate I had my pre op about three months ago and then it was delayed until I got a call on Friday asking me to come in this coming Tuesday. Now the main things I'm concerned about really is I haven't really been told anything about What to expect, recovery etc.

I'm wondering if anyone could elaborate on potential recovery times which I'm sure will be different for everyone but if I could get some sort of figure to give to my workplace. I work as a fibre jointer so of course eyesight is an absolute must but thankfully I've been heavily reliable on the left eye anyway but obviously have concerns around fibre potentially getting in my eyes as well as lifting box lids of concrete which are very heavy.

Secondly, if anyone could give any tips on best practice while the graft is healing that would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for any response given.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Corneal transplant on Tuesday

Postby gsward » Sun 02 May 2021 3:51 pm

Hi, there are a lot of questions to answer here, but so we don't go off in the wrong direction, a couple from me first.

• Presumably, you are otherwise in general good health (don't give us any detail) - but if you don't have complications like diabetes, say, your recovery is likely to be smoother.
  • Are you being treated as a day case, i.e.coming home the same day?
  • Where are you having the operation? (Others who have been there may comment on the specifics of the hospital, as the practices can vary)

You need to give yourself plenty of time to recover, I would suggest the first two weeks are critical, get as much rest as you can. Lying down with an audiobook is a good idea!
Sticking to your drops regime is really important.
Your consultant should be able to advise on heavy lifting, but I bet it will be 3-4 months.
You might be happy to go back to work after 3 weeks say, but if it involves lifting that could be 3-4 months too.
Dust is always a hazard, I really wouldn't want to get anything in your eye that has had a graft as any irritation risks starting a rejection. So that's probably a good pair of safety glasses if not googles when you are actively working.
You should have quite a few review appointments in the weeks/months after. If all is going well they will get further apart. It's very hard to predict, but I would tell work the worst case as soon as you know but keep them informed if/when things improve. Talk to your consultant or whoever sees you immediately before your operation and explain the detail of your work.

Wishing you well. Keep us updated in a few weeks, or if you have more questions.

Graham

Rekeh

Postby Rekeh » Sun 02 May 2021 4:01 pm

Hi there Graham,

Apologies I should have been a bit more in depth! So in terms of health I am in good health no underlying conditions or anything. I am being treated as a day patient as far as I am aware as I've been given very limited information but from what I remember from the appointment they only mentioned doing it as a day patient. Lastly, I am having it done at Birmingham Eye hospital (Dudley Road) who I've been with all along.

I have mentioned to my workplace that it could potentially be about a month and they've not put any pressure on me at all about it and to just return when I'm ready.

I think I'm stressing more about the very limited information that I've been given more than anything.

Thank you.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Sun 02 May 2021 4:13 pm

That all sounds good.

If you stick to rest, drops and relax all should be fine. I suspect you will have a review in the first week and you can update work after that, but don't be in a hurry, as you don't want things to go backwards.

Graham

Rekeh

Postby Rekeh » Sun 02 May 2021 4:27 pm

Brilliant Graham thank you.
Also thank you for the pointers in your first post much appreciated.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 02 May 2021 4:29 pm

Hi Rekeh,
I agree with everything Graham has said. Heavy lifting is definitely a no-no as it potentially puts pressure on the stitches. And safety goggles sound like an essential in your job (not that I know what a fibre jointer does!) In terms of your vision, if you've been relying on your left eye up to now, then things probably won't feel much different after the transplant. How soon useful vision returns varies hugely (for me it was different in each eye). You might be seeing better out of the grafted eye after 3 or 4 months, or it could take more than a year. With my first graft, I didn't get any benefit until I could wear a contact lens in it again, with the other eye, it was better after a few months (though what the eventual outcome will be is only clear once the sutures come out). So it's a long recovery for the eye, but in terms of how you feel, you should feel fine after a week or two. Sounds like you have a sympathetic employer, which is great. What I did the second time around was to negotiate a phased return to work, doing shorter hours initially and building back to full time when I was ready. Do ask lots of questions when you see your consultant before you to go theatre - my experience was that I discovered more in those pre-surgery conversations than I'd ever known before! And all the best for Tuesday. Do let us know how you get on.

Rekeh

Postby Rekeh » Sun 02 May 2021 4:46 pm

Thank you Anne,

All taken on board thank you for the great response I will certainly come back and report how I've gotten on.

Thank you.

Rekeh

Postby Rekeh » Thu 06 May 2021 8:41 am

Hi everyone,

So surgery was completed on Tuesday no massive issues from what I've been told.
Very painful the first day using cocodamol for pain relief and started my eye drops yesterday.

Only concern at the moment is my partner has noticed blood pooling in the white of the eye that looks a little too bloody to be just a bloodshot eye. Has anyone else experienced this after surgery? I can see through the eye and cannot see any red at all so I'm wondering if it's just surgery after effects but understandibly my partner is concerned about it.

Sorry it wasn't really explained at the hospital what to actually expect so I'm unsure whether it's normal or not.

Thank you all.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Thu 06 May 2021 9:10 am

When are you due to be seen again? Does the clinic/hospital have a number for you to call for advice?

Rekeh

Postby Rekeh » Thu 06 May 2021 9:39 am

Hi there,

They've said next week I should be back in to be checked. The only number they've really given is to follow up on appointments if one doesn't come through the post.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”