Glasses fitting

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Johnny99
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Glasses fitting

Postby Johnny99 » Fri 23 Apr 2021 12:29 pm

Hi,
I wear RGP contact lenses for quite a while now and requested a pair of glasses mainly for emergencies or when I'm going to my regular checkups at the hospital where they require not to wear lenses for a few days before. The optometrist did a fitting and gave me a prescription. They mentioned that it works be better if when I go to the opticion to get the glasses that I don't wear my lenses for a day to help get a better baseline as lenses flatten the cornea. Is that normal to not wear lenses before getting glassss?
When I had the fitting at the hospital I hadn't work my lenses for 4 days .

Thx

Lia Williams

Re: Glasses fitting

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 23 Apr 2021 7:58 pm

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the forum

Johnny99 wrote: Is that normal to not wear lenses before getting glassss?

It's not unusual to do so.

It is true that if lenses are left out for a few days a better prescription can be obtained, but most people don't have the time to leave lenses out several days before getting a prescription for back up glasses.

I have back up glasses which I wear first thing in the morning. So I need my glasses to be optimised for my eyes when the lenses have been left out overnight. I therefore make morning appointments for my glasses.

There are other people who want to wear glasses just in the evening so they will make an appointment in the afternoon so that their glasses are optimised for when they remove their lenses.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”