Light Sensitivity?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Roman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Roman » Wed 21 Apr 2004 11:14 am

Hi Dave,

I can tell you that light sensitivity or "photophobia" is quite common "gift" for all us with KC. It is also quite common after any eye surgery when your eye heals. Patients usually describe it after graft or rings surgery. It improves with time (I mean after surgery photophobia).

It is definitely adviced to wear high quality sun glasses with good UV filter not only during summer. You can choose one even for inside wearing with appropriate lens color.

Anyway when this symptom appeared and is quite disturbing to your eye I´d visit doctor for check up to see if there is everything Ok with the cornea. I remember that I ocassionally suffered from bad photophobia when I got erosions on the cornea from extended CL wear.
Take Care

Roman

Ken Pullum
Optometrist
Optometrist

light sensitivity / pinhole specs

Postby Ken Pullum » Wed 21 Apr 2004 11:09 pm

Pinhole specs are will not cause anyone any harm. If you see nothing without lenses, and pinhole specs give an improvement, they are OK. The reduced field of view caused by a pinhole is immediately obvious. If mobility is affected, you can take the specs off. Telling an intelligent person that he/she shouldn’t use something like pinhole specs because they may be risky is the silliest thing I have read for a long time.

Ken Pullum

Dave Dale
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Dave Dale » Thu 22 Apr 2004 4:13 pm

Well,

I asked the very question at my consultation with Mr Morgan at Sunderland Eye Infirmary yesterday and he laughed and said....

Thats a great idea and a bit of a KC cheat..if it helps you stick with it, no damage can be done to the eyes..

He knows a lot more than me so I can relax again with the pinholes on to watch the snooker!

Dave.

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Fri 30 Apr 2004 11:19 am

Back to my original question then, does anyone have any idea where I can get a pair? I have had a look on the internet and seem to be coming up with glasses with lots of little pin holes in them, is this what you have Dave? If my memory serves me correctly when used during an eye exam doesn't the card just have one hole in it?

Any responses welcomed.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”