PRK + CXL Surgery

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

RobM
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

PRK + CXL Surgery

Postby RobM » Fri 05 Mar 2021 9:18 pm

Based in UK, 31yrs old. Diagnosed KC 5 years ago. Ive decided to have the PRK procedure to try and somewhat improve my vision, or atleast minimise the doubling. A lot of people will tell you there is no such procedure but in my opinion PRK looks promising, although I strongly state it is not a cure but simply a potential improvement.

My KC hasn't progressed too much since 5 years ago but I get constant double vision which creates headaches and fatigue. I've done fair bit of research which might help some of you. Best place to start was reading all the journals on KC.

Basically Ive contacted Moorfields which is a top UK clinic to see how their PRK matches up. They seem to have a good system and uses protocol which was developed inhouse by Daniel Gore and associates. He really does seem like a top doctor but my main issue is they aim to restore good vision in spectacles or lenses as opposed to stand alone. This was stated in the journal published by Mr Gore. However I've opted for a slightly lets say risky procedure which uses the Athens protocol for PRK. Athens procedure removes slightly more of the cornea tissue (around 30% more) but also aims to restore slightly more vision, without aid. I believe few clinics in the UK use the athens protocol for PRK, although hard to find. I'd recommend always asking what protocol the clinic uses for their PRK treatment as they vary between doctors and clinics, and then doing your own research based on that.

But yeah basically I am flying to greece tomorrow to get the procedure done with one of the top guys in the fields who actually invented the athens protocol in the first place. Very nervous and worried as the outcome is far from guaranteed. A very expensive procedure and definitely carries its risks but since the double visions drags me down daily, I've decided to go for it. Hope it goes well. :shock:

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: PRK + CXL Surgery

Postby gsward » Sat 06 Mar 2021 5:55 pm

Hi, I hope too this all works out as you expect. It will be good to hear from you how things progress post-op, both in the short-term and longer.

Unfortunately for many of us with Keratoconus, the option of reshaping the cornea is not available since as the condition progresses the cornea gets ever thinner. Each case of course is different and you need to assess all your available options.

Take care on your travels.

Zackback
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Re: PRK + CXL Surgery

Postby Zackback » Sat 25 Dec 2021 4:33 pm

Hi Rob,
Did you get the procedure done? If so can you give us an update please.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”