Switching hospitals process

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Switching hospitals process

Postby Mas-tech » Mon 01 Mar 2021 12:26 pm

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've jumped on here, my KC hasn't progressed since I got diagnosed so just been chugging along in life :). Hope everyone's doing good in this odd times.

I’ve been going to Royal Berkshire eye hospital in Reading since my first diagnosis. I’ll be moving near Birmingham in the next few months and worried how I go about with switching hospitals, as I don’t want to wait months for my next check up. Or shall I just stay with Royal Berkshire seeing as my appointments are once a year now?

The other option I was thinking of just going private as I can afford it and if my KC still hasn’t progressed, then I’m looking at £90 for a follow up appointment annually. But, I can't seem to find any info how much RGPs cost privately.

TIA

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Switching hospitals process

Postby gsward » Mon 01 Mar 2021 12:54 pm

There is a process for switching hospitals in the NHS. Royal Berkshire should be able to do this (ask your consultant / optom.) You can always go back to your GP for a new referral to the new hospital of your choice even if it is 'out of area' as you won't be able to register with a new GP until you have a new address.

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Switching hospitals process

Postby Mas-tech » Mon 01 Mar 2021 1:01 pm

thanks, good to know the hosptial can sort it out!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”