Readers for Computers

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Readers for Computers

Postby Richard In Wales » Sat 17 Jan 2004 7:23 pm

Been sent these links, don't know if they will be of use to anyone but here they are

http://www.readplease.com/

go down to 'Whats free' section
http://www.stclairc.on.ca/people/pages/ ... nology.htm
http://www.Borg-Zone.co.uk/eyelog.htm Visit My last graft Blog Site

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 06 Dec 2006 11:05 am

Way back in the olden days, Borg posted this very helpful link. I was wondering how many of us now use "text-to-speech" software?

My Mac comes with this ability embedded in the IOoperating system,a nd I use it every day.

I think that Windows based comptuers have also gained all sorts of new abilities. So, there are two questions really: (1) how many people benefit from this sort of help, and (2) is there any way in which the software could be improved?

andrew
Andrew MacLean

piper
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby piper » Wed 06 Dec 2006 12:35 pm

Andrew!!You are a Mac Guy!! I knew I could trust you!! :D I have had Macs since they ran on bottled-gas and were made of cast-iron. Yes, they come with everything sight-impaired and hearing-impaired people need. Currently use an iBook on my lap, an iMac does the homework and my daughter's video editing business and an old G-3 Blue tower in the shop.

rock on
Piper

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 06 Dec 2006 12:43 pm

Piper

We're a Mac family. I drive a G4 Powermac. My son drives a G4 iMac and my daughter a G5 iMac. My wife, at work, uses a windows based computer, but is always glad to get back to the Mac environment when she is at home.

My first Mac was an old Mac Classic :D

I have my flat screen configured "white on black", which is useless for looking at photos, but as I never really have any reason to look at photographs I can live with that. I run OS 10.4.8, so can easily tab through text blocks. I like it.

I do hear more and more about steps that Microsoft are taking to enable windows to mimic the Mac OS universal access, and wondered whether this was widely used by folk with KC.

It is good to know that, although separated by an ocean we have both discovered the undeniable benefits of the Mac Operating System.

Yours aye

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 06 Dec 2006 2:23 pm

Windows has similar functions. However Microsoft Narrator (the text to speech programme) is next to useless as it comes and needs enhancement to be useful. Similarly, the magnifier is pretty pants too because it does not follow your typing but the cursor. This means you have to keep using the mouse to move the cursor over your typing. :? :x Its OK for reading though.
When you use the embedded microsoft stuff it does tell you that if you have a visual impairment (rather than mild myopia) you should purchase pucker disability software.
I have explored this with my employer and had a workplace assessment. They advised SupaNova and Dragon Naturally Speaking. Sadly I cannot tell you if these work as my employer has singly failed to provide them and has got well and truly wrapped around the axle of beauracracy since requesting it in August. I eventually got fed up and procured a screen magnifier from the RNIB. At which point I was castigated roundly for a 'breach in procedure'. If you want anything in the civil service you have to be prepared to wait.......Eventually they will gear up to Striking Sloth Pace from their normal Glacial Pace and supply the stuff. Of course I will probably have moved by then.....
In the interim the magnifier does work quite well but I still struggle with e-mails when I am not wearing lenses. But I would suggest trying the magnifier because it does not rely on IT people for a start and its cheap for another! :x :x :x :x :x rant over!

Get a life...get a dog!

Judith Tomlinson Harrison
Contributor
Contributor

Readers for computers

Postby Judith Tomlinson Harrison » Wed 06 Dec 2006 7:05 pm

Matthew you are absolutely right about it taking forever to get assisstive technology in the Civil Service. I work for Jobcentreplus in a benefit processing centre so I have also experienced horrendous delays in getting equipment.
I used to use software called Vista for over 14 years. It was great but as the Dept's systems updated it became incompatible. I now use Supernova 6.51 for magnification and in some applications to change the colours. The process can be lengthy even after having had the assessment. I would advise you to insist on a workplace assessment, that is one where the assessor comes to your desk. In this way he/she will go through absolutely everything with you as well as IT related help. Following my recent assessment I got a better keyboard where the keys are slightly bigger and the letters fill the whole of the key. I also got a 20in flat screen monitor. The other items recommended were a special desk large enough to house my equipment which includes a CCTV system and a daylight desk lamp. What surprised me most was when the assessor got out a tape measure and measured my legs and height etc. A purpose built chair has been ordered for me. Did you know that the distance between the bend in your knees to the front edge of the chair should be 4cm. In my case it was 13cm on the officially supplied chair.
My life is now so much easier at work and my eyes are benefitting as a result of being able to clearly see the screen.
The organisation involved was Atos Origin who organised the assessment.
Although it is frustrating Matthew, keep pestering your management team and keep letting them know that the equipment is necessary and that you are entitled to it under the DDA. You could also get a letter from your GP and there is always the threat of you asking for special leave until you have the equipment you need to do your job as efficiently as your colleagues, ie to put you on a level playing field.
Good luck

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Thu 07 Dec 2006 8:44 am

Thanks for this; you're right. I did have a workplace assessment but they are struggling with SupaNova because they need to upgrade the sound card. Not difficult but a huge leap for our IT guys. I too got a good keyboard and these things definitely help. As well as having KC, I have large badly coordinated hands so big keys are better!! I phoned one the high level IT management yesterday having heard nothing for about 8 weeks, he replied, 'Oh! You still want all that stuff?' Grrrrrrrr! Like I had been cured one day?
Sorry, ranting again! Thanks for your help; its nice to know that one day.....

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 07 Dec 2006 9:48 am

Matthew

I guess that it comes down to a failure on the part of super-able people to think themselves into the situation of those who are marginally disabled. it is the same in the organization within which I work. At the top level they are extremely sensitive and accommodating to my particular needs, but then they forget: at the General Assembly, when a vote is called, I need somebody to read out to me what is being voted on (so that I can know whether I am for or against). Nine times out of ten they remember, and then they seem to decide that I have become miraculously cured so that I can suddenly read the text projected onto the screen.

The other thing is that I find that people with flawless sight become impatient when the visually impaired old guy keeps asking the same questions in each new circumstance. However, I am pretty robust, and am well enough able to make it clear that I still need an answer and that their impatience is a sign, not of grace, but of something altogether more human.

:D

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Thu 07 Dec 2006 3:21 pm

Andrew,
Thanks. It goes to show that we are all challenged in this way, one way or another. I like your dogged persistence approach! I think that's it, keep going just don't get too frustrated. The problem is when it comes to patience I am more human than most! :D

Get a life...get a dog!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”