Another lens gone

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Another lens gone

Postby Amarpal » Thu 06 Jul 2006 10:02 am

Well there goes another lens of mine. I was helping my mum in the garden yesterday when the inevitable happened- yup, my lens fell in the soil, while I was digging away. I found it, gave it a rinse, disinfected etc etc, but this morning I just noticed that it is completely scratched and can't be worn. So I rang Gartnavel hospital, and I am to wait for a phonecall from somebody in the afternoon today, preventing me from going to do my voluntary work at the British Heart Foundation. Just hope I get a lens by next week as I have work experience to go to!

Oh well, thats enough rambling for now I think...
Amarpal

Paul Morgan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Paul Morgan » Thu 06 Jul 2006 1:26 pm

Huge sympathies to you....it's just another challenge that KC presents us all with. :(

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 06 Jul 2006 2:09 pm

Arampal

I hope this works out okay. My most spectacular lens loss was while climnbing Ben Arthur (the cobbler). I looked out of the corner of my eye to catch a glimpse of an eagle and, oops, it was gone.

When you go to Gartnavel ask about a spare or pair of spares. Or, if you have an old lens that had been replaced because of change of fit or forus,,ask if it can be pressed into service in an emergency.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Paul Morgan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Paul Morgan » Thu 06 Jul 2006 3:05 pm

I caused a great deal of laughter in the pub the other evening...

Two of my friends were admiring some of the female company (we're all old and married and don't get out much)who were generally behind us. I was asked why I wasn't keen to look.

I explained it would involve turning round and I was scared my lenses would pop out....

Hoots of unsympathetic laughter.....they just don't understand!!!! :lol:

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 06 Jul 2006 4:26 pm

Paul

that must create difficulties while you are watching Yeovil Town, if the ball flies past you and you have to turn your head in a hurry to see which striker is about to press home an advantage in the opposing side's goal!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Amarpal » Thu 06 Jul 2006 6:16 pm

Well my lens is going to be made up again and I will get it soon thankfully! The only problem is that I have work experience to attend to next week which may pose a problem with my one contact lens. Its not that I cant put up with one lens, its just that my left eye is less tolerant than my right (I lost the right lens). Oh well, not to worry!

Andrew,
The clinic have told me I will be able to use my old lenses for my work experience next week.

Thanks
Amarpal

brigid downing
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby brigid downing » Thu 06 Jul 2006 6:27 pm

Amarpal,

Loosing a lens is never fun. How do they know how to get themselves lost at the most inconvenient time!

Good luck with your work experience. I look forward to hearing it all went brilliantly.

Brigid

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 06 Jul 2006 7:38 pm

Armarpal,

If you have not done so already, make the work experience placemnet aware you have KC and that you are reliant on one eye. Also send a copy of the employee leaflet.

As far as I am aware companies that take placement students must comply with the Disibilities Discrimination Act.

It will aslo give you a chance to piut any fears/concerns they may have about your well being to rest before you start.

In the 20 years of my being upfront about my KC it has never held be back or caused problems.

Good luck.

Gareth
Gareth

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Amarpal » Thu 06 Jul 2006 9:34 pm

Thanks for you help. They know about my KC, I douibt I need to give them an information leaflet though because its at a hospital!
Looking forward to it very much- wont let my vision spoil it!
Amarpal

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 07 Jul 2006 6:17 am

At a hospital eh?! You may be surprised.

I know that the folks at Gartnavel would be very interested to know whether you ran into any difficulties due to a lack of understanding of KC at your placement.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”