Lenses clouding up

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jugger
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Lenses clouding up

Postby Jugger » Tue 08 Dec 2020 6:11 pm

Hello

I've started using new lenses - mini sclerals. I've found them to be reasonable comfortable and they provide me with good sight. However, I'm having issues with the left lens clouding up/ hazing up after a few hours wear - with the vision becoming how the windows become in the mornings in winter.

Does anyone have any experience of this and how to eradicate the problem? If I remove it, clean it and reinsert it, it goes back to normal.

I had the fit rechecked and that doesn't seem to be a problem and it only happens with the left not the right.

Thanks

Jugger

Lia Williams

Re: Lenses clouding up

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 10 Dec 2020 8:54 pm

Hi Jugger,

I wonder if this could be lots of tiny bubbles, or froth, forming under the lens.

I had a similar problem with a corneal RGP. I was convinced it just needed cleaning and es taking it our several times a day to clean. The optometrist suggesting that I piggy backed the lens with a soft disposable lens underneath. It worked and no longer get the problem.

Lia

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Lenses clouding up

Postby gsward » Sun 13 Dec 2020 10:08 pm

It is possible this is symptomatic of a fit problem. When lenses have been in for a while they settle back closer to the cornea and you might not be getting enough tear flow. Taking them out is not an unreasonable way to manage the problem as long as it does not get worse. I would try and get the fitting checked, but at time of day when you have had the lenses in for a while.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”