Keraflex

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

happy11111
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Keraflex

Postby happy11111 » Mon 07 Dec 2020 12:00 am

Hi everyone..

The Keraflex procedure has been out for a little while now.. So I am hoping there should be some feedback out there regarding it regarding success rate?
Is this available on the NHS ?

Thank you for your time

James

happy11111

Re: Keraflex

Postby happy11111 » Tue 08 Dec 2020 1:42 pm

Anybody there please ?

Thanks.

James

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 08 Dec 2020 1:50 pm

Hi James,
The only recent reference to Keraflex I could find when I googled is this from Australia
https://www.theeyepractice.com.au/optom ... reatments/
As they say, there was a lot about Keraflex about 10 years ago, but since then it has gone very quiet. So I would guess that the initial promise of the treatment hasn't been fulfilled. It's certainly not available on the NHS - for that to happen it would have to be approved by NICE and I'm not at all sure that it's even been submitted to them for consideration. I don't know if anyone else here can tell us more?

happy11111

Postby happy11111 » Fri 11 Dec 2020 1:07 am

Hi Anne..

Thank you for asking the forum about keraflex.. it does not look very promising as have had no response. Anyway if I could ask your advice and anyone elses I would appreciate it.
I am 42 and have KC badish in my right eye since young and little in my left. Up until a couple of years ago the topology reports showed no progressing. .. However now for the first time my prescription has now changed in my right eye so hospital have ordered a different rgp lens for me. Also my left eye now needs support with glasses which the hospital say is just due to getting older I asked the hospital for a topology report and they said it is not needed.. normally they always run one on my eyes to check for any progression but for the last couple of visits they have declined to do this . I mentioned that if I need a prescription change it may be a sign the KC is progressing and that I may need cross linking . The hospital s response was it is to late for that in my right eye which I am also surprised about because up until now the hospital have been able to manage the vision with the rgp lenses. I would be really grateful for your perspective on this one please ?

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 11 Dec 2020 10:22 am

As the hospital says, our vision does change as we get older (people who don't have KC often become more longsighted as they age). And although 40 isn't 'old' in anyone's book, it is around the time when the cornea starts ageing and becoming more rigid. Which is why crosslinking isn't offered on the NHS after the age of 40, because the natural changes mean that most people's KC stabilises then anyway. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but hopefully your new prescription will work well for you.

happy11111

Postby happy11111 » Tue 15 Dec 2020 6:57 pm

Hi Anne ... Very useful advice. I did not no that CL would not be available to me over 40. This could explain why the hospital keep dodging The topography scans.. however in light of my prescription change this.coukd be a sign of worsening which I still feel a scan would show up and would help with any further investigation required. If the hospital refuse I see no choice but to have to go private. ); ..

On a slightly more urgent note I have managed to get my rgp lens stuck in the corner of my eye and can't get it out! I am thinking to leave it overnight and see someone tomorrow. I no you are not supposed to itch/rub your eyes to much with KT so an holding back a bit. Amazingly after 22;years with KT I have never had this problem before ! I notice you can buy those suction sticks .. maybe that might do it?

Talk soon and keep safe Anne
James x

andytraill
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby andytraill » Sun 20 Dec 2020 11:48 pm

Ok who is doing Keraflex?

Hopefully you got your RGP out? Was quite a bit ago so reality hope. :)

Yes suction tips are the way to go. Personally I use these because you can balance the lens on the back part for the really advanced KC many stages beyond using RGPs. No transplant so works for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07H7R ... asin_title

Main thing is stay calm. It'll feel manic at points but think of the relief when it's out. :)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”