Fed up of air bubbles

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

carmel
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Fed up of air bubbles

Postby carmel » Sun 06 Dec 2020 9:11 pm

I've had scleral lenses for over a year and on good days (rare!!) they are great...most days however, I get them in ok but after a short time, the left always gets an air bubble. I fill the lens with saline to the top so there is a miniscus and I bend over the work top so that I am almost standing on my head, I make sure lens and lid are dry, but whatever I do, at some point after insertion a bubble forms. It's only the left eye, and I insert both lenses the same way - fingers as a tripod, hold upper lid open, slide lens under and then pull lower lid up. I am so fed up, I feel like throwing the lenses out the window, they rule my life and I can't make plans because I don't know if I'll be able to see. Someone please help me, the situation is really getting to me.

Lia Williams

Re: Fed up of air bubbles

Postby Lia Williams » Mon 07 Dec 2020 4:22 pm

Hi Carmel,

Bubbles are a nuisance, I sometimes get them with my left corneal RGP if I don't do the head down technique correctly.

It sounds as if your insertion technique is correct as you can get the lenses in without bubbles. As the problem is only occurring with the left lens, and it is after insertion, I wonder if the fit of the lens needs to be altered slightly. It would certainly be worth asking your optician if this could be causing the bubble problem.

Lia

carmel
Contributor
Contributor

Postby carmel » Wed 09 Dec 2020 7:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, that was my thinking too, I may have to call and get an appointment!

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Mon 14 Dec 2020 9:53 am

Hi Carmel,

I have replied to your bubbles question here
https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16855
but it sounds like your technique is fine.

I did wonder if these are little bubbles coalescing into a larger one when you are wearing the lens, but filling the lens to the brim should prevent this. It does suggest that the saline is leaking because you have a relaxed fit on the lens so I would see your optometrist.

carmel
Contributor
Contributor

Postby carmel » Tue 15 Dec 2020 4:59 pm

Thank you, I have seen my consultant, the fit is ok, so it's my technique...going to try gel instead of saline and see what happens...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”