Looking help.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Samuel1988
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Looking help.

Postby Samuel1988 » Wed 23 Sep 2020 9:00 pm

Firstly thank you for letting me join the forum.

I have just turned 32 and was diagnosed with KC when I was 19. I have KC in both eyes and wear rgp's I have recently noticed my vision getting slightly worse however omibam overdue my 6month check up and have been told it could be a while before I am seen again due to a severe back log in the contact lens clinic in Belfast.

I have spoken to one of the optoms and they have suggested wearing glasses over the top of the lenses as a quick fix until I get seen by them.

I am starting to stress out as I need my driving licence for work are there any options available even if it means going private there are a couple good private surgeons locally worse case. I am not suitable for CXL.

Thanks in advance
Sam.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Looking help.

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 24 Sep 2020 10:32 am

Hi Sam and welcome,
It's a difficult time with such backlogs in all hospital eye departments so we've all experienced cancelled appointments and the stress of not knowing when we might be seen.
But quite a few people do wear glasses on top of contact lenses and find it works well for them, so it's definitely worth investigating. And if that doesn't work for you, I'm not sure it's a private surgeon you need at this stage, but an optometrist who can check your prescription and could supply contact lenses privately if you need them urgently. In England, many hospital optometrists also work part of the week in High Street opticians (often the independent practices). We don't have any Belfast ones listed on our KC friendly optom list, but you could ask your hospital optometrist for suggestions, or ring around yourself and ask if they have an optometrist with a special interest in KC.
Good luck

Samuel1988
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Looking help.

Postby Samuel1988 » Thu 24 Sep 2020 12:46 pm

Anne Klepacz wrote:Hi Sam and welcome,
It's a difficult time with such backlogs in all hospital eye departments so we've all experienced cancelled appointments and the stress of not knowing when we might be seen.
But quite a few people do wear glasses on top of contact lenses and find it works well for them, so it's definitely worth investigating. And if that doesn't work for you, I'm not sure it's a private surgeon you need at this stage, but an optometrist who can check your prescription and could supply contact lenses privately if you need them urgently. In England, many hospital optometrists also work part of the week in High Street opticians (often the independent practices). We don't have any Belfast ones listed on our KC friendly optom list, but you could ask your hospital optometrist for suggestions, or ring around yourself and ask if they have an optometrist with a special interest in KC.
Good luck

Thank you so much for your reply. You know in all my years of attending the clinics no one has ever suggested or advised I attend the opticians. I am booked in for an appointment into an independent who apparently is very good with KC. The lack of information our hospital optoms give us is almost short of nothing.

Hopefully find out more on Tues either with glasses or new or even different lenses dont want to go down the knife road just yet my main concern is keeping my driving licence.

Sam

Return to “General Discussion Forum”