Hi , Can anyone help me out

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

keerthishankar

Hi , Can anyone help me out

Postby keerthishankar » Sun 02 Jul 2006 9:57 am

Hi All ,

I am keerthi . I am 23 years old. I got recently diagonised as KC. I dont know exactly how seriously is my eye affected.

Can anyone tell me how can i know how serious my eye is affected.

Thanks,

keerthi

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sun 02 Jul 2006 12:09 pm

Keerthi

Welcome to the forum

Its very difficult for anyone to tell you how serious it is without having seen your eyes/cornea. This is best left to and done by the Professionals. You say that you have recently been diagnosed?....What did they tell you?

Is your vision affected at all? Do you wear glasses / contact lenses?

I am sure we could give you an idea as to the stage you are at depending on how well you can see with Glasses/Contacts.....but aside from that it would e difficult to say anything more.....

Hope that helps

Jay
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 02 Jul 2006 1:36 pm

Keneth

Jay is right. Only an ophthalmologist who examines your eye is in a position to say how baqd your KC is. Even poor vision is not an indicator .. loads of people with no KC stillhave poor sight, and poor sight may just be present independent of your condition.

Still, well done on finding the forum. Things are seldom as bad as they first seem. Let us know what your doc says.

Yours aye

Andrew

(an ophthalmologist is a qualified doctor who specializes in diseaese and conditions of the eye.)
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 02 Jul 2006 3:44 pm

Hi Keerthi,

Welcome to the forum.

It is a fact that a vast majority of people with KC cope well with glasses or contcat lenses and lead normal lives because KC actually has little or ne effect.

The regular posters here are no really representative of the KC community as a whole, but because of what they have been through means they have some extra knowledge to bring to the forum as well as the experiences of others who consider their KC to be quite mild.

Regards

Gareth
Gareth

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Sun 02 Jul 2006 7:59 pm

hi keerthi
i joined the group not too long ago and am finding great comfort in knowing we are not alone.
gareth, and andrew are quite right. only a qualified proffessional with experience in KC can answer the question of what stage youre at and what management system is best for you.
it is a very individual condition with no one patient being the same as another, and it is a condition that affects us all in differing degrees of severity and also progresses at differing rates, varying from fast aggressive progression to complete stability. unfortunately there is no knowing for anyone what the rate of progression is.
however as gareth i am sure would agree its all about how you cope and to stay positive and always look for the benefits, and there are some , and you will find them unexpectedly

good luck

mike

onwards and upwards
onwards and upwards

Return to “General Discussion Forum”