Coronavirus and hosp appts

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Coronavirus and hosp appts

Postby Green » Mon 16 Mar 2020 6:46 pm

Are appts still happening at Moorfields?
What if we have an urgent problem, need A&E but dont feel well?

Lia Williams

Re: Coronavirus and hosp appts

Postby Lia Williams » Mon 16 Mar 2020 7:59 pm

On Moorfields Twitter Account they have a pinned tweet (dated 13th March) which states:

Based on new advice on #coronavirus from @PHE_uk , we're asking anyone (regardless of travel) with a new or persistent cough or a high temperature NOT to attend appointments at Moorfields, & instead to stay at home for 7 days. You can rebook appointments on 020 7566 2357.

Lia

PS I think it would be worth checking Twitter before travelling to an appointment in case the tweet has been updated.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Tue 17 Mar 2020 3:45 pm

if their anything like Jimmy's in Leeds theyl be notoriously bad at answering the phone :/ Good luck n hope your ok?x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:14 pm

But if anyone had an ophthalmic emergency ie graft rejection or
retinal detachment, are people expected to lose sight of they were unwell?
At the moment without testing we dont know if a cough is a cold, normal virus or Coronavirus.

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:15 pm

For example, I'm asthmatic, my key symptom is coughing!

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 19 Mar 2020 5:54 pm

The latest Twitter message from Moorfields says they are beginning to re-schedule non- urgent appointments, but of course A&E will remain open for emergencies. And it is a 'new' cough that's a possible indication of C-19. Though how you tell if a new cough is innocent or not is another matter. These are going to be very testing times both for patients and for medics with a lot of hard decisions to be made.
Stay safe.

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Thu 19 Mar 2020 9:29 pm

I worry about embedded graft sutures which need coming out

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 20 Mar 2020 12:10 pm

If I'm remembering correctly, your graft was around a year ago. Most sutures don't finally come out until 18mths (though sometimes a few are selectively taken out earlier) so I don't think you need to worry at this stage. Of course, if sutures are causing pain or other major problems, that would be something for A&E. Stay safe.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Fri 20 Mar 2020 4:31 pm

My sutures have been in over a year now and at the last review it was decided to leave them alone as they are not causing any problem and I currently have no astigmatism. Clearly it is going to vary case by case and the surgeon's view. Anne's approach is right, if sutures are causing pain or other major problems, that would be something for A&E.

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 20 Mar 2020 5:20 pm

Similarly a suspected retinal detachment would be a trip to A&E.

In addition to keratoconus I am very short sighted so I am naturally concerned about the possibility of retinal detachment. Late last year I did experience some flashing lights in my left eye, not enough to panic me, but enough to get a referral to the local hospital for retinal scans. Fortunately no tear in the retina was found and it was put down to ageing.

Early this week I had a contact lens check up. I went because I was well, it'd been a long time since my last appointment, and the hospital was still running routine appointments. I was however aware the vision in my right eye was slightly down so I thought that the check-up would be beneficial, turns out the lens had a few protein deposits and new one as been ordered.

So in my case if the new lens doesn't work (and on past experience identical lenses sometimes don't) I won't try to get an earlier appointment as I can manage with the old lens and, I know that, although it is not ideal, it won't really affect the health of the eye.

On the other hand if I get signs of retinal detachment I will be contacting A&E.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”