Contamac

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

brian-ire
Contributor
Contributor

Contamac

Postby brian-ire » Wed 11 Mar 2020 5:50 pm

First of all, thanks to all involved in the newsletter, the Sprint 2020 edition arrived yesterday.

Secondly, does anyone have more info and experience with Contamac? I see that this group has a bit of a relationship with them but this is the first I've heard of their offering.

It sounds like something that could be a game changer for me as I have tolerance issues with my current mini scleral and have dry eyes/blepharitis. I have tried other non-scleral lens so I'm surprised to see this new alternative just appear on my radar seemingly out of nowhere.

Has anyone had these lens fitted on the NHS?

DavidGable
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: Contamac

Postby DavidGable » Thu 12 Mar 2020 1:43 pm

We are so pleased you enjoyed the Spring edition of our Newsletter and found it very informative. You have certainly raised a very valid point with your question. I am hoping the feedback below from my recent visit to the Contamac factory may help where I saw first hand the impressive work and research they undertake.

In truth the company has no direct competitor, although they make contact lenses for trade, the majority are destroyed in a controlled way for research or used on selected clients for testing purposes. In fact, what they manufacture is the material and coatings which is used by a variety of manufacturers across the world to make contact lenses.

Contamac got in touch with us in 2011 seeking Keratoconic patients for their trials. I was researching our back issues and decided to find out if anything came of these trials. Hence the latest article and my visit.

The factory is one large laboratory full of scientists and chemists. For example, there was a lady in a “clean room”, staring at an enlarged sphere waiting for a single drop to fall in order to take some complex measurements. There were chemists measuring compounds to a thousandth of a gram to get the correct properties for the material. The investment in R & D is tremendous.

Quite by accident a researcher trying to find a way to insert an element under the skin to send diabetic information electronically discovered that the only way to make it work was to encase it between to contact lenses made from Contamac material. They now have a new factory which houses the largest clean room in Europe, dedicated to making this coating.

I don’t think any of their products are available for direct retail, they are sold directly to manufacturers. I came away with the impression that the company's ethic was to improve the lives of people like us and not simply to sell cosmetic products to people too vain to wear glasses.

I suggest you have a look at their website then ask your optometrist about getting lenses from a supplier that uses Contamac materials as they may be more specially suited for your specific needs.

I was planning to put a post on the website but as we have just published the article and uploaded a post about a new website called specialitysight.com, I feared a third item would make it appear we are advertising for them. We have to be impartial to all suppliers.

I hope this feedback somewhat helps you and we hope you are nearer to finding a solution for coping with your condition.

brian-ire
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brian-ire » Thu 12 Mar 2020 3:34 pm

Thanks for the response. I feel like I have a vague memory of hearing about this company at one of the official group meetings in the past.

I'm just surprised I'm only hearing about it within this group and not from optometrists, even at Moorfields. I might have to enquire a bit though as it sounds like it could be ideal for me.

AJMatyla
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby AJMatyla » Sun 15 Mar 2020 2:09 pm

I have only recently stumbled across both this group and this forum after suffering with Keratoconus for the last ten years. I too have suffered with tolerance although my hospital practitioner has been amazing. I read the latest newsletter and was interested in the recent coatings offered by Contomac. I wondered if anyone has had the new material/coating /cleaner that are available and whether it was a game-changer?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”