New Scleral Lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

IshR
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

New Scleral Lenses

Postby IshR » Thu 20 Feb 2020 10:59 pm

Hi all
I received my first pair of scleral lenses last week. My optician was in a rush and I didn’t get a chance to ask over what period / how quickly to increase wear time. She said start off with 2 hours and increase to 12 hours per day.

To be fair, I started off last week wearing them 4 hours/ day. There’s slight discomfort around the edge of each lens (on the white of my eyes) as a soon as they go in and this discomfort remains the entire time. Will this discomfort go / will my eyes get used to them?

How quickly should I increase wear time? Would you say 2 hours extra per week? Ie

Week1 4 hours
Week2 6 hours
Week3 8 hours

Etc?

Magzi
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: New Scleral Lenses

Postby Magzi » Sun 23 Feb 2020 8:06 am

Hi, I was fitted with scleral lenses last year and did similar to what you optician advised. Four hours for a few days, then six, then eight and so on untill I got to the point where I could wear them for twelve to sixteen hours.

The discomfort does go overtime, I work twelve hour shifts and am capable of wearing my lenses for up to sixteen hours now with no noticeable discomfort, although my right eye is more tolerable than my left.

IshR
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby IshR » Sun 23 Feb 2020 2:40 pm

Thanks for your reply, Think I’ll increase by 2 hours per week then unless anyone suggests otherwise :)

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Wed 04 Mar 2020 6:10 pm

Increasing 2 hours a week is a reasonable step. If after a few weeks you are still getting a mark on the sclera (white) of your eye you definitely need to go back to have the fit reviewed/adjusted. Try and get an appointment when you have had the lenses in for a few hours too.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”