Intac after 8 weeks pain

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

tommy11
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Intac after 8 weeks pain

Postby tommy11 » Tue 29 Oct 2019 9:53 pm

Hello,

I had intac surgery 8 weeks ago on my left eye and it still doesn't feel to great. Lightly touching the centre of my eye over my eye lid is more sensitive than before surgery. My keratoconus is quite advanced so i knew this wasn't going to correct my vision but to hopefully make me tolerant to a suitable contact lens. Was anyone else still in recovery 8 weeks later? as the nurse who discharged me after surgery said i would be fine for work tomorrow and i don't think i went outside into sunlight for 2 weeks. Ive been trying to find a solution for 10 years and i think it may be time for a transplant.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Intac after 8 weeks pain

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 04 Nov 2019 2:57 pm

We don't seem to have many forum users who have had Intacs fitted, but I'm sorry you haven't had a response. I hope you've got a follow up appointment at your hospital soon so that you can talk about your concerns. Intacs seem to work well for some people and not for others - around 10% are removed because they have created other problems. Have things improved any?

Dek
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Re: Intac after 8 weeks pain

Postby Dek » Mon 04 Nov 2019 6:50 pm

I had INTACS fitted at RVH some years ago and didn’t really experience any post op pain. Recovery was swift but I have to say there was not much benefit which I knew was a possibility from the NICE report on them. I was due to have them removed some time later but on the morning of the operation the surgeon thought it might make my myopia worse so they remained. Since then I’ve had cataract surgery so in retrospect they could have come out but it’s another operation and comes with a degree of risk, albeit small. Good luck.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”