Preservative free saline

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

carmel
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Preservative free saline

Postby carmel » Mon 16 Sep 2019 4:44 pm

I'm using scleral RGP contacts and been told I should use preservative free saline, does anyone know any high street stores I can buy it? I got some from Boots that has EDTA as an ingredient, as well as PHMB, the pharmacist told me these are not preservatives but my eyes feel quite watery and sore since I started to use it so I am starting to wonder...if anybody can help with this query I'd be really grateful.

brian-ire
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Preservative free saline

Postby brian-ire » Mon 16 Sep 2019 5:11 pm

To fill your sclerals before insertion?

Looks like Bausch + Lomb do a product but I've never seen it. I, and assume many others, use amidose which I also never see in your average high street pharmacy. I've been using it for 10 years and have purchased it through various means, I originally got my local pharmacy in Ireland to source it and now I either buy direct from the manufactures online or purchase at Moorfields Hospital.

carmel
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Preservative free saline

Postby carmel » Tue 22 Oct 2019 6:04 pm

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay in saying that! Yes, to fill them before insertion, I've been using if for a few weeks and it seems ok, but am going to try Coopervision which is preservative free, according to the bottle, and available from Vision Express, same price as Boots. I may talk to consultant at my next appointment and get his thoughts, there is just so much stuff out there and some of it (Savers) is really awful!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”