New scleral RGPs and they scare me!!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

carmel
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

New scleral RGPs and they scare me!!

Postby carmel » Mon 09 Sep 2019 2:53 pm

Hi, I hope to get some reassurance that I am not alone in being a bit scared of my new lenses! I got them a week ago, consultant was brilliant and very supportive, I am getting used to them and getting them in and out is getting easier, however, I have a couple of concerns and I would really welcome some help!

Firstly, my close vision and reading are wonderful, I don't need reading glasses at all, and I wasn't expecting such a massive improvement with lenses. The thing is, my distance vision is not good at all. I have to go back in a week for adjusted lenses and this may resolve the problem. Is this normal, does it take a while for the corneas to adjust and settle? I am really concerned because I drive and at the moment, wearing my glasses, I am not legal...consultant seems to think I will be fine with lenses, I am legal with them, and tells me to persevere. So far I have only driven very locally wearing my specs, I don't feel confident with the lenses.

Second, the issue of air bubbles. How do I know if I have one?! Consultant says I will know because I won't be able to see - I'm not sure what he means, does he mean I won't see anything at all or will vision just be a bit blurry? If I'm honest, my distance vision is blurry and I don't know if that is normal at this stage, or whether I have a bubble!!

I am so confused but really want the lenses to work, rather than go for more grafts. I had my first one 40 years ago and the second was done in 1984 so they have done pretty well up to now.

Any help would be great.

Lia Williams

Re: New scleral RGPs and they scare me!!

Postby Lia Williams » Mon 09 Sep 2019 4:49 pm

Hi Carmel,

Welcome to the forum.

As your reading vision is excellent it sounds to me as if the power of the lenses is incorrect. Normally it is distance vision that is optimised and reading glasses used for near vision, if required.

I would suggest that you ask for an appointment to check your vision. It may be possible for the prescription of the lenses to be refined or they will order you a new set.

You will however need reading glasses if your lenses are optioned for distance vision.

Unfortunately multi focal contact lenses aren’t usually prescribed for keratoconus. It’s difficult enough to get the distance vision and comfort sorted without complicating it with multi focals.

One thing you could do is have your lenses set up for mono vision. This is where the dominant eye is optimised for distance vision and the other for reading. I have my right lens optimised for distance and the other for the computer and just use reading glasses for small print or in poor light.

Bubbles. I often get a bubble behind my left lens (a corneal RGP) whenI put it in in the morning. It means that I get two images of things when I’m reading, fortunately this bubble disappears with half an hour or so. I also had a problem with a previous lens, with that one the bubble broke up into lots of tiny bubbles and I couldn’t see a thing clearly, it was if the lens needed a clean.

So yes you will know when you’ve got a bubble as your vision will be affected.

Lia

carmel
Contributor
Contributor

Postby carmel » Mon 09 Sep 2019 7:33 pm

Hi Lia,

Thank you for your reply, it was really helpful. I am seeing the consultant next Tuesday because he has ordered adjusted lenses which may resolve the distance issue, I mentioned it to him a few times during the fitting and several times after, so he is aware. If the next lenses don't sort it out I will have to be a bit more assertive!

Carmel

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Sun 15 Sep 2019 8:32 pm

As I understand it adjusting the power should be straightforward, whereas adjusting the fit can be more complicated.

I hope that all goes well for your appointment on Tuesday.

Lia

carmel
Contributor
Contributor

Postby carmel » Tue 22 Oct 2019 6:09 pm

Thank you, sorry for the delay in replying, since my post, the power has been adjusted, new lenses arrived 2 weeks ago and are wonderful!! I am so thrilled by the visual acuity (at one point during the test I was 20/20) and I am getting them in and out a lot easier, still get the bubbles but I can cope with them and can drive. It is weird having such great vision after so long, all I can say is thank goodness for the NHS. All I need now is to sort out a decent preservative free saline, Boots is ok but I may try Coopervison as it is available easily, same price as Boots and labelled as preservative free. Thanks agin for your help and encouragement.

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 24 Oct 2019 4:06 pm

Hi Carmel,

I'm pleased to hear that your lenses are working well for you.

Lia

malluc
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby malluc » Thu 07 Nov 2019 10:09 pm

carmel wrote:Thank you, sorry for the delay in replying, since my post, the power has been adjusted, new lenses arrived 2 weeks ago and are wonderful!! I am so thrilled by the visual acuity (at one point during the test I was 20/20) and I am getting them in and out a lot easier, still get the bubbles but I can cope with them and can drive. It is weird having such great vision after so long, all I can say is thank goodness for the NHS. All I need now is to sort out a decent preservative free saline, Boots is ok but I may try Coopervison as it is available easily, same price as Boots and labelled as preservative free. Thanks agin for your help and encouragement.

I get bubbles all the time- just tiny ones usually in the same place. It usually takes me a few tries to put the lens in with no bubbles. I sometimes get large ones that are uncomfortable. In terms of saline I use single use PF in small vials. the brand is LacriPure, which I have to order from the US, as it’s not available in Canada. I get it from the Dry Eye Shop. It’s a great website for info about sclerals.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”