KC and the UK Armed Forces

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Andymoore1994
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Re: KC and the UK Armed Forces

Postby Andymoore1994 » Thu 06 Feb 2020 4:37 am

Sorry, nightshift has ruined me.
I have a follow up appointment with the doc on the 18th, I can ask him to give me full details. Whatever you need to aid the case?
I don't have my eye results but I'll get them for you, a before and after. What else would you need?
I have the letter the surgeon wrote for me to send off on my last appeal?

adamsjack123
Vision: Other

Postby adamsjack123 » Mon 24 May 2021 11:22 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone had an update back regarding KC and the Royal Marines ?

I have had CXL treatment in both eyes, the last eye was done nearly 4 years ago. I’m 23 years old and would really like to pursue a career in the Royal Marines. Is this still out the question ?

Cheers,

Jack

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby RedOnion » Wed 26 May 2021 2:59 am

Hi Jack,

Have you spoken to the marines yourself? Sometimes it can take a while to get somewhere with these things but perhaps worth giving their recruitment team a shout. I would be interested to see what they say.

Good luck!

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 26 May 2021 8:43 am

Hi Jack
If you look at this sister thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16278&p=76832&hilit=uk+armed+forces#p76832 you'll see that we've continued to pursue this. I e-mailed my contact again yesterday and his response was "sorry that the wheels are turning slowly, but they are turning". He also said that if individuals are rejected, they can request an appeal and the case will then come to one of the ophthalmologists advising the armed forces. The implication is that they are likely to be sympathetic. And if your KC has been stable for 4 years after CXL, then you clearly have an excellent case. So if you're prepared to test the system, go for it and good luck!

Andymoore1994

Postby Andymoore1994 » Thu 03 Feb 2022 12:24 pm

Hi, it's been quite sometime since chasing any of this up due to covid. I was wondering has anyone got any further with this?
It's been years now since I was disqualified from joining the British army due to my KC. I still want to join up. I've had my eyes tested with no change in vision since my CXL, I am legally aloud to drive, I've just been approved and now passed my HGV licence. I am more than capable.

Andymoore1994

Postby Andymoore1994 » Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:17 pm

Just an update on this I have currently put am application into the Royal marines, knowing I will likely be rejected due to my KC, however I'm hoping in the appeal I will be given a chance since my eyes have not change since been diagnosed im 2016, receiving CXL in 2019 until now. My eye Dr has been phenomenal towards this and sympathetic and is willing to give me all the information and support I need. I'm not overly confident but I'll keep trying until I have the answer I have needed for the last 4 years.

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby RedOnion » Mon 11 Apr 2022 10:22 pm

Fingers crossed for you! Please keep us posted

Andymoore1994

Postby Andymoore1994 » Wed 13 Apr 2022 10:06 am

I will do, I have been training very hard so physically and mentally as ready as I can be just need them to give me a chance

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby RedOnion » Thu 14 Apr 2022 12:35 pm

The training can be brutal, I remember doing it when I was going for the forces! I really hope they give you a chance, I don’t think you can blanket ban KC as it has so many different levels and effects on people. Good luck!

Andymoore1994

Postby Andymoore1994 » Thu 14 Apr 2022 8:12 pm

Totally agree, received my medical form to fill out today, really gave as much information on my KC I have in the eye problem section, can't submit it until I go for my eye exam, which will be within the next couple weeks. I'll keep you all posted

Return to “General Discussion Forum”