KC and the UK Armed Forces

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

JWJ
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

KC and the UK Armed Forces

Postby JWJ » Wed 14 Aug 2019 4:03 pm

Hello all,

I've just registered today, and I have KC in both eyes. I've undergone CXL and PRK, and my eyesight before surgery was 6/15 and 6/12, and one week after surgery was 6/12 and 6/6.

I was medically discharged from the Royal Marines in December last year, and I am currently launching a case to get the regulation changed regarding KC. I have a great set of people working with me inside of the RN recruitment process, and a top consultant at Moorsfields. I expect this to last several years, and I know how slow this wheel turns as I've already had to go through a lengthy appeal to get in the first time, but I am extremely dedicated and committed to this.

I am looking for any case studies, medical reports/reviews regarding KC and CXL, particularly from other reputable armed forces from around the world, to present as good as case as possible when the time finally comes to it. If anyone knows of any such material, I'd really appreciate the help.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: KC and the UK Armed Forces

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 18 Aug 2019 10:06 am

Hello JWJ,
If you look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16278&p=75585&hilit=armed+forces#p75585
you'll see that this is something the KC Group has also been trying to do something about. But although the initial reaction was favourable, since then it seems to have been kicked into the long grass, and I've had no reply to the e-mails I've sent to the only contact I have. As an 'insider' you know much better than us how to pursue this and it's really good to hear that you've got some strong backing. If you e-mail me at anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk I can tell you more about our efforts.

Strela10
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Strela10 » Sat 19 Oct 2019 5:35 am

That's a great project, after all, if I got things right, after the operation, your eyesight is as good as it used to be! I have relatives and acquaintances in several armed forces in different countries (Belgian Army, French Navy, Russian Army, Algerian Air Force) and I'll see if they can find data about keratoconus in the recruitment process in their services.

JWJ

Postby JWJ » Thu 23 Jan 2020 10:50 pm

Hello all,

Its been a few months since this post, and I've just had a review of my eyes 8 months post-treatment. Amazingly my left eye is 6/6 and my right is 6/7.5 uncorrected, which is a pretty great result off the back of CXL. I'm aware of how lucky I am to have had such positive results after treatment and I want to try to push this matter off the back of that.

I've been invited to send evidence to members of the committee that make the regulations on joining, so I've basically written a document laying out my eyesight and clinical information, and a short summary of KC and CXL, then making my case that it should not prevent a career in the armed forces, including about 12 clinical case studies ranging from short term up to 10 years, supporting my case. Whilst I'm not hopeful on the chances, I'm going to try to push it as far as I can.

Andymoore1994
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Andymoore1994 » Wed 29 Jan 2020 8:50 pm

Hi, I just had my appeal on my left eye keratoconus denied today even though my eyesight met the minimum standards for the british army, I recieved cross linking surgery 2 months ago, eyesight has slightly improved, right eye is perfect unaided and left eye is perfect with glasses, I will appeal this decision until they either let me in or put a restraining order on me, I'm willing to go to hell and back to get in, I refuse to let keratoconus stop me.
So, I will keep you upto date with my process.
Yours seems to be much more stronger and if there is anything I can do to help I'm more than willing.

JWJ

Postby JWJ » Sat 01 Feb 2020 8:31 am

Andymoore1994 wrote:Hi, I just had my appeal on my left eye keratoconus denied today even though my eyesight met the minimum standards for the british army, I recieved cross linking surgery 2 months ago, eyesight has slightly improved, right eye is perfect unaided and left eye is perfect with glasses, I will appeal this decision until they either let me in or put a restraining order on me, I'm willing to go to hell and back to get in, I refuse to let keratoconus stop me.
So, I will keep you upto date with my process.
Yours seems to be much more stronger and if there is anything I can do to help I'm more than willing.

I'm pretty deep into the rabbit hole with this stuff. Even if Keratoconus is removed from the list of conditions that will prevent you joining, it is likely that the rules regarding refractive surgery will apply to it - i.e you have to be more than 22 years old, and be a year on from surgery - to show its actually worked and your eyesight is stabilised etc.

Being so soon after Crosslinking, its abit too soon even if they actually acknowledge their rules are out of date - however when you get to the 6 month point, you're in a much better position.

Andymoore1994

Postby Andymoore1994 » Mon 03 Feb 2020 11:47 am

Yeah I've come to realise it is a bit too soon, If that's the case just give it a little more time but still have a chance then i am fine with that, I'm 25 so theres one thing going for me. Just gives me more time to prepare for it and I'll try once again at the 6 month mark. So it wouldn't be worth going through a second appeal then?

JWJ

Postby JWJ » Tue 04 Feb 2020 8:40 pm

Andymoore1994 wrote:Yeah I've come to realise it is a bit too soon, If that's the case just give it a little more time but still have a chance then i am fine with that, I'm 25 so theres one thing going for me. Just gives me more time to prepare for it and I'll try once again at the 6 month mark. So it wouldn't be worth going through a second appeal then?

At this point a 2nd appeal would be a waste of time for all involved, candidly speaking.

What was your eyesight and prescription before the CXL, and what is it after treatment? There’s a plethora of rules and standards that are applied to refractive survey (ie LASIK), and the best case for getting Keratoconus off the barred list is to apply those standards.

Andymoore1994

Postby Andymoore1994 » Wed 05 Feb 2020 3:24 am

I'm not sure off the top of my head but from testing my eyesight 10 minutes before the CXL then 2 weeks later I was able to read 2 lines smaller. So there is already an improvement, I've been prescribed glasses and in my appeal denial message I was told my eye sight met the standards, it was just that keratoconus was barred. When I get home, I'll post the relevant information I have.

JWJ

Postby JWJ » Wed 05 Feb 2020 9:46 am

Andymoore1994 wrote:I'm not sure off the top of my head but from testing my eyesight 10 minutes before the CXL then 2 weeks later I was able to read 2 lines smaller. So there is already an improvement, I've been prescribed glasses and in my appeal denial message I was told my eye sight met the standards, it was just that keratoconus was barred. When I get home, I'll post the relevant information I have.

I’m just thinking if your eyesight is decent I can include details of it in my thing I’m sending off, it would only make the case better if theres more people who would qualify if only the stance on keratoconus changes.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”