Biochemically, how do steroid eye drops decrease corneal hazing? Possible to remove hazing?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

fuzzybabybunny

Biochemically, how do steroid eye drops decrease corneal hazing? Possible to remove hazing?

Postby fuzzybabybunny » Sat 06 Jul 2019 8:21 am

It has been 1 year after my epi-off CXL and I still have Grade 1 hazing in my operated eye.

The halos and glare make driving at night very difficult and I'm very sad that my eyesight is generally cloudier in all aspects in the daytime.

My CXL doctor said that I can continue to use prednisolone to try and decrease the hazing, but I don't know how this would physically work. I see no reason why it would work at all.

The hazing is within the cornea itself, no? So how will topical steroid drops help at all? They would need to penetrate the epithelium first and then soak into the cornea and then do... something... to remove the hazing? Steroids remove inflammation - but I don't think I would still have inflammation a year after CXL, right? I'm also unclear as to how inflammation would lead to hazing in the first place.

Are there any ways to remove the hazing? I think I read somewhere that removing the epithelium again and getting CXL a second time can remove the old hazing, and then you just focus really hard are healing very very carefully a second time to prevent hazing (dark sunglasses, zero bright lights, perhaps vitamin C supplements, etc).

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Biochemically, how do steroid eye drops decrease corneal hazing? Possible to remove hazing?

Postby CrippsCorner » Wed 31 Jul 2019 1:37 pm

Very sorry to hear about your situation - I am in the same one!

My 'good' eye was ruined by CXL through corneal hazing and I'm afraid to say that it's now been several years and hasn't got any better. I used steroids for a while, but was never recommended continuous usage.

Do you have a link relating to getting CXL again to reduce hazing? My consultant told me the only option is a transplant...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”