Crosslinking local or general anesthetic??

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Marie_93
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Crosslinking local or general anesthetic??

Postby Marie_93 » Mon 29 Apr 2019 1:25 pm

I have been informed if I have a local anesthetic I can have my procedure done in the next few weeks, if I have a general it is August time, we are wanting to try for a baby very soon which I have posted about already, so obviously it would make sense to go for a local, but it terrifies me, what are your experiences please?

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Re: Crosslinking local or general anesthetic??

Postby RedOnion » Mon 29 Apr 2019 3:35 pm

Mine was just done by numbing drops. It wasn’t at all painful during the procedure, I found having the eyes clamped open the most uncomfortable but even that wasn’t too much of a problem.

It’s more getting over the squeamishness that’s the problem for me but I somehow managed to steel myself for it. It’s easy to say but just try not to overthink it and you should be fine :)

Marie_93
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Marie_93 » Mon 29 Apr 2019 7:12 pm

Thank you for your reply that doesn't sound too bad. What was the recovery like afterwards? How was the pain and how was your vision? I am curious because I am not sure how long I'd have to wait after the procedure to get pregnant. Thank you

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby RedOnion » Tue 30 Apr 2019 3:59 pm

It was worse in my left eye which was my bad eye and the first to get done. I won’t lie, it was pretty sore for about 36 hours after which it slowly got better in terms of pain, by the third day after it was fine other than a little gritty. I couldn’t effectively see out of that eye for about 24 hours and functional vision took a few days to return.

My right eye fared much better, pain was minimal and effective vision came back quick, other than being light sensitive for about two days. Perhaps I knew what to expect that time round, who knows.

That’s my experience and I’m sure others have different experiences. But I think it’s the first 48 hours that are the worst. As for recovery, I stayed in a dark room for the first couple of days and rested, have to be careful about getting fluids near the eye other than the prescribed drops.

I’m really not sure how long it can be before getting pregnant, perhaps worth discussing with your surgeon. Good luck with it :)

Marie_93
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Marie_93 » Wed 01 May 2019 5:37 am

Thankyou once again for your reply. The second time round was that your "good" eye? I just cant decide what to do everyone is telling me I should be asleep during, but I just want it over and done with and I can move on with that part of it all, I think my bad is is going to end up needing a transplant, yay.. but the crosslinking is being done on my good eye which Is why I asked if it was your good eye the second time round as there was less pain I wonder If that's cos it's the better eye.

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby RedOnion » Wed 01 May 2019 11:31 am

It was my good eye second time round, I’m not sure why it was better, possibly because I knew what to expect but possibly because it’s in much better shape than the left. I personally don’t think it’s worth the risk of being anaesthetised but it’s a judgement call. If there’s any pain after the op it’ll still be there after the general anaesthetic

Marie_93
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Marie_93 » Wed 01 May 2019 2:06 pm

Thankyou. I am definitely leaning towards local. I will have to toughen up. If I go local my date is June 5th

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby RedOnion » Wed 01 May 2019 3:39 pm

Good luck with it, you’ll be fine :)

Marie_93
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Marie_93 » Wed 01 May 2019 5:48 pm

Thank you, I have rang up and told them I am going for local, so in about 5 weeks time. I'm terrified.

Sonic_Ross
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby Sonic_Ross » Tue 18 Jun 2019 5:09 am

Hi Marie,

How did the procedure go for you can you share your experience? I'm due to undergo the same procedure in my good eye on 4th July and am also quite scared.

Cheers
Ross

Return to “General Discussion Forum”