Ghosting worsening but topography unchanged

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

craigt
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Ghosting worsening but topography unchanged

Postby craigt » Mon 22 Apr 2019 9:13 pm

I am a bit confused and wondered if anyone had come across this scenario before.

My left eye for years had very mild kerataconus (to the point I barely noticed it even with glasses), but around this time last year the ghosting started to worsen. I would say by now it is almost worsening on a monthly basis.

I had a corneal topography taken last May and one last month. My consultant said they were the same.

The ghosting does all but disappear with a contact lens on but I am struggling to wear one at the minute.

My consultant said this means the ghosting IS a corneal issue. He's not forthcoming on why it's advancing though.

Has anyone had increased ghosting even though the topography hasn't changed? I just wish I knew what was causing it.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Re: Ghosting worsening but topography unchanged

Postby CrippsCorner » Wed 24 Apr 2019 11:46 am

To answer your final question, yes, my ghosting is terrible now - However my topography hasn't changed. For me though, this was due to severe hazing occurring during CXL.

Just count yourself lucky that a contact lens helps for you! With me, there is literally nothing they can do, unless I consider a graft. What lenses are you attempting to wear?

craigt

Postby craigt » Wed 24 Apr 2019 12:02 pm

Standard RGP. And I can only wear for about 4 hours a week so not feeling particularly lucky.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Thu 25 Apr 2019 10:21 am

Have you tried regular astigmatism soft lenses? For some reason my eye unit put me on RGPs first... hated them, but I get 95% as good vision with softs, which is definitely worth it as they're 100% more comfortable! I wear mine up to 10 hours a day without a problem, as long as I use eye drops for lubrication every couple of hours.

Funnily enough the only lenses to reduce ghosting for me was scleral lenses. I found these a good compromise between ghosting/vision/comfort but unfortunately I had other problems with those (blood vessel related)

craigt

Postby craigt » Thu 25 Apr 2019 10:37 am

I'm back at Contact Lens clinic on Monday so will ask. I've found out they provide mini sclerals too so at least there's the choice!

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Fri 26 Apr 2019 10:13 am

Haven't tried those ones yet, good luck!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”