Toric vs Non-Toric

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

atulg
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Toric vs Non-Toric

Postby atulg » Sun 06 Jan 2019 12:47 pm

If you wear soft contact lens for KC, what is a better option: Toric or spherical contact lens? I have been using non-toric for many years and I want to try toric recommended by an optician. I actually didn't even know about them before.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Re: Toric vs Non-Toric

Postby CrippsCorner » Mon 07 Jan 2019 2:47 pm

I don't think I've ever tried non-toric!

I've tried many different types, and just for your information, found my current lenses: Bausch + Lomb PureVision 2 (for astigmatism) to be the most comfortable.

atulg

Postby atulg » Thu 10 Jan 2019 6:50 am

Thanks for your recommendation. I have just changed doctors and I got a new prescription but the new lens is just not as good as the old one in terms of vision quality. I am now trying to determine how the doctors come up with the soft spherical lens number based on the prescription. Can somebody please post their prescription details and the lens number that they wear.

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Sun 13 Jan 2019 11:05 am

atulg wrote:I am now trying to determine how the doctors come up with the soft spherical lens number based on the prescription.

It's often said that prescribing contact lenses for KC is more than an art than a science. There is a lot of trial and error involved in obtaining an optimum prescription for contact lenses. Which can be incredibly frustrating. If your old prescription is not as good as your old one go back to the optician and explain your problem. Be aware that sometimes a comfortable lens with good vision can be an unhealthy fit so should no longer be worn (although this probably applies more to RGPs than soft lenses).

Prescriptions for contact lenses are quite different from those for glasses. My right eye is -13.00 sph - 1.75 cyl but my RGP is -10.25.

Do look at Information Sheet 4: Getting the most out of a contact lens appointment

which can be found here:

https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... on-sheets/

You may also find it useful to view a couple of videos by optometrists talking about KC and contact lenses.

Videos from the 2016 conference can be found here:

https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... -videos-2/

and those from the 2018 conference here:

https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... deos-2018/

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”