Help me please!!!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Deadbricks86
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Help me please!!!

Postby Deadbricks86 » Sun 16 Dec 2018 12:20 pm

:cry:
First time posting on here....I’ve had cross linking in both eyes and have recovered well. 1 month ago I was fitted for RGP lenses. I’ve built up my time and have been wearing them comforts for 8-10 hours a day.
This morning while cleaning them I have broken one, it’s literally in a hundred pieces. So what do I do now! Like most of you I rely on these and can’t really function without them. I fly to New York in 11 days for a trip of a lifetime and now won’t be able to see....what are the chances of me getting a new pair in 10 days?
I currently don’t have my prescription but will ring the hospital tomorrow to get this. Any idea where I could order some from as I’m worried the NHS will take ages!!

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Help me please!!!

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 16 Dec 2018 6:47 pm

Well, see what the NHS say first, though with Xmas as part of your 11 days, the chances aren't good. And I'm not sure whether they'll be able to give you the prescription - all to do with the way NHS lenses are financed.
You don't say whereabouts in the country you are, but we have a list of KC friendly optometrists here https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... ometrists/ so you might find one who could help. You'd obviously have to pay the full price rather than the subsidised one.
And if the worst comes to the worst, and you can't get a replacement lens in time for your trip, I take it the other lens is still fine? Many of us have had to get by for longer or shorter periods with just one useful eye so all is not lost. The brain is amazing in how it adapts to block out the blurriness from the 'bad' eye for most of the time.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Help me please!!!

Postby CrippsCorner » Mon 17 Dec 2018 3:33 pm

Would it be worth getting a regular soft lens just to get you by, if as Anne says the lens in the other eye is good? I know soft lenses don't work for everyone but it might give some improvement and will certainly be quicker to get hold of (and cheaper)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”