GP lens advice and solution

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lewigreg
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

GP lens advice and solution

Postby Lewigreg » Thu 15 Nov 2018 8:21 pm

Hi all,
I’m still going through the motion of trying to get a suitable lens (right eye only). It’s mainly due to all my allergies and eczema but I’m finding it difficult to take to any.

I’ve tried:

GP
HYBRID

And I’m currently using the piggy back system. I’m having flare ups on my eyes (mainly my right) and I’ve been a&e a few times this year with it. I’m being told it’s allergies.

For the last 4 weeks I’ve been trying the piggy back system and I thought all was going well and they felt a lot more comfortable. For the last two week my eye has been gunky and irritable when wearing the lenses. The vision has also had a grey haze to it as though the lens is full of grime.

I’ve been back to the optiacian at the hospital today and he checked and said he’s never seen as much grime and mucus and he was surprised I could see through the lens

They’ve said allergies again and referred me to a demotologist. I also mentioned if it could be the solution as my allergies only seem to flare up in the right eye so it doesn’t make sense to me. When I had my op for the rings I had to use preservative free anesthetic and I’m wondering if the soloution could have been causing the irritation.

I was fine for a couple of weeks then the irritation started.

Does anyone know of any preservative free solution for GP lenses? Optician mentioned a hydrogen peroxide based one could be ok.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?

Thanks all

Lia Williams

Re: GP lens advice and solution

Postby Lia Williams » Sat 17 Nov 2018 12:44 pm

Hi Lewigreg,

I also use a piggyback system and it works well for me.

However I find that if I put my lenses in as soon as I get up they do get covered in mucus. For me it's far better to wait an hour after waking.

Another thing to check is make sure you clean your lenses properly, rinse with saline, before storing overnight in the conditioning solution. It works better than storing the lenses in the conditioning solution overnight and then cleaning in the morning.

The soft lenses I have are disposable lenses so after storing the RGPs overnight in the conditioning solution I rinse them in the liquid in the disposable pot and then put them in my eyes.

Lia

Lewigreg
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Postby Lewigreg » Sat 17 Nov 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I tend to wait about an hour before putting it in. It’s just weird after an hour or so wearing them the mucus starts to build.

I just have a all in one solution at the moment that came with the lens from the hospital.

I’m hoping for more of a sensitive be one maybe?

I also have the daily disposable lenses too.

So I need a cleaner and conditioner then?

Thanks

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Sat 17 Nov 2018 8:37 pm

Lewigreg wrote:So I need a cleaner and conditioner then?

There are lots of different contact lens solutions on the market.

I use Boston cleaner and Boston conditioning solution. I clean my RGP lenses every night with the cleaner and then rinse with saline and store overnight in the conditioning solution. In the morning I insert my soft lenses and then rinse off the conditioning solution from my RGPs in the disposable lens pots, I could then add more conditioning solution to the lenses but I don't usually bother. Or I could put my RGP lenses straight into my eyes from their overnight soak but I find rinsing helps.

I also use protein remover tablets from time to time. Some cleaning solutions are supposed to remove protein but I have had problems with protein deposits on my lenses so hopefully the protein remover tablets will help.

There are some all-in-one systems. Personally I have found using an all-in-one solution leads to bad habits as I find that I don't clean the lenses as well as I should. Leaving any cleaner on the lenses as a definite no-no, as if you do get some in your eye it stings - this encourages me to clean them properly!

Do ask your optician to recommend different solutions if your current ones aren't working for you.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”