query on increasing perscription

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Bear
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

query on increasing perscription

Postby Bear » Tue 06 Nov 2018 1:41 pm

Hi there, just wondering if your perscription has been increasing over 2yrs does that mean that the keratoconus is active/progressing. Thanks

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: query on increasing perscription

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 07 Nov 2018 4:18 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,
Can you tell us a bit more? Is your KC corrected with glasses or contact lenses? If the prescription in either has been increasing in the last 2 years, it could certainly be your KC progressing. Do you have it monitored at a hospital eye clinic or do you go to a high st optician?

Bear

Postby Bear » Wed 07 Nov 2018 4:46 pm

I only found out recently. Eyesight was becoming more difficult to correct with glasses and lenses. I'm really quite terrified and upset about the whole thing. I am middle-aged so I dont know if it has been progressing or mismanaged by an optician

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 08 Nov 2018 11:50 am

Do you mean that you only found out the problem was keratoconus recently? Have you been referred to a hospital to have it checked out? Keratoconus is usually diagnosed in young people (teens or early twenties) but there are cases when it only appears later. The good news is that what they call 'late onset KC' usually doesn't progress very much. The right contact lenses can usually correct the vision, though if it is progressing, you may need changes in prescription. There's nothing an optician can do to stop the changes, so I'm not sure that it's been mismanaged. There is a treatment to stop progression (collagen crosslinking) but that's usually only offered on the NHS to young people recently diagnosed. If you'd like our information booklet about the condition, do e-mail your postal address to anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk and I'll send you one. And don't hesitate to ask more questions here.

Bear

Postby Bear » Fri 09 Nov 2018 9:22 am

Thanks. I had a referral to the hospital but was told it could take a long time so I went privately to have the test which was positive. I hadn't even heard of this condition so it is difficult and scary

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 10 Nov 2018 12:44 pm

Yes, it's always scary to be diagnosed with something that most people have never heard of. I hope your hospital appointment comes through soon. As I said in a previous post, late onset keratoconus usually doesn't progress very far, and with the right contact lenses (usually the rigid gas permeable type) you should get good vision if spectacles no longer work for you.
Do let us know how you get on.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”