Post Graft queries

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Stirchley Cortez
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Post Graft queries

Postby Stirchley Cortez » Sun 30 Sep 2018 3:30 pm

Hi, I had my corneal graft nearly 4 weeks ago.
It's very slowly getting less sore, but is both eyes still seem fairly photosensitive even though only the left was done so sunglasses being worn a lot, especially for the short bursts of telly I can manage.
I'm currently putting a combination of steroid and antibiotic drops in every hour although I hope the antibiotics will be curtailed after my next consultant appointment.
The eye seems to be generally ok, the odd pain twinges, I can open it now but the drops make it harder to keep open.
Trying to redo my CV but the PC screen isn't favourable to my eye so that will have to wait.
I'm gonna go for 6 weeks sick leave as there's no way I can go to work now, have only been out the house twice.

My wife thinks I shouldn't have such photosensitivity now but I think the hospital guides you can find on the net are a little optimistic for recovery times.
Does anyone else have any similar post graft experiences that I can compare with?

Thanks
Nick

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Post Graft queries

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 01 Oct 2018 5:01 pm

Photosensitivity post graft is pretty common. In fact, Moorfields used to issue transplant patients with very dark glasses on discharge from the hospital, though they don't do that any more. I'm afraid I don't remember how long I was particularly sensitive after my original grafts back in the 80s - certainly a few weeks. By the time of my regraft a few years ago, I'd retired from paid work, so things like that were no longer an issue. And, of course, we all vary in how we react to these things, so as you say, the recovery times quoted post graft can be optimistic in some cases. Hopefully your next consultation is soon, and you can ask about it then.
I'm a bit surprised you're still on hourly drops almost 4 weeks on - I imagine that will be reduced at your next check up.
All the best for good healing!

Stirchley Cortez
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Stirchley Cortez » Sat 06 Oct 2018 9:49 am

Thanks for the reply Anne. I have a pair of sunglasses that have proved invaluable, at least it's got a little cloudier recently! Saw my excellent Consultant at the QE who said the epithelium wasn't healing over the corneal surface as it should, hence the continuing eye soreness and photophobia. My antibiotic drops have been changed due to possible allergy and a barrier contact lens placed in the eye which has made a pretty immediate difference to being able to open the eye fully.
You say you had grafts in the 80's,how did you know you needed regrafts or was there a set lifespan for your grafts?

Thanks
Nick

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 07 Oct 2018 11:38 am

Hi Nick,
Good to know there was an explanation for your continuing light sensitivity and even better that it's being treated. I hope things continue to improve for you now.
Have you had a partial graft (DALK) or a full penetrating graft (PK)?
Back in the 80s I had PK grafts as DALKs weren't being done then. At the time, I was told that my grafts would outlive me. Knowledge about the survival of grafts has increased considerably since then. PKs do indeed have a lifespan though than can vary from 20 to 40+ years. It looks as though DALK grafts will have an even better survival rate. Have a look at the Spring 2013 newsletter (on our home page, under Publications) where there's a summary of an excellent talk Moorfields consultant Dan Gore gave to the Group. He gives the data on graft survivals from an Australian study which explains further.
Wishing you good healing and a very long lifespan for your graft!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”