Emotions and KC?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Emotions and KC?

Postby space_cadet » Sun 30 Sep 2018 11:28 am

Anyone else find their eyes are drier than usual when emotions are towards the negative side, and in general their emotional health has a rebound in terms of clarity of vision n visual disturbances?

I have had a year from hell thus far in 2018, n it is slowly calming down n with that calmness I have noticed I am not experiencing anywhere near as many floaters in particular but also halo's and ghosting isnt as bad (this is all for my right - the eye I had the transplant in which gives a small bit of useful vision on occasion as my left eye is generally closed as it has no useful vision n has no purpose other than looks cute iwth make up on it!)

It migiht be cos I have physically been crying a lot this year so my tear ducts despite being medically closed pernamently due to lack of tear film in both eyes, so the tears have no option but to act as a very temporary lubrication and in turn sooth naturally as apposed to the bottles of hylo forte they eat and drink but in general the last couple of days as my emotional health has improved for the firsttime this year I have noticed visual change too.

Or am I that sleep deprived from all the distress of the year I am hallucinating?
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Emotions and KC?

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 01 Oct 2018 5:06 pm

I'm glad things are settling down for you now. I think when you posted a few months ago about link between stress and vision, I replied saying that had been my experience too. When I was mentally calmer, my eyes seemed to calm down too. So little is understood about the links between mental and physical health, but in my mind, they definitely impact on each other!

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Green » Thu 01 Nov 2018 7:32 pm

They most definitely do, but the expectation of stoic positivity hinders any research in this direction

FERNANDO
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby FERNANDO » Fri 02 Nov 2018 8:53 pm

I agree 100%. Recently, I came across with a clinical study published in a highly regarded journal about the effect of meditation/yoga in the intraocular pressure of patients with glaucoma. Some time ago when patients asked me about this link I said I did not believe but now my mind has changed. Really works!
About keratoconus, I also agree. Vision issues, as well as pain and discomfort associated with keratoconus on top of ill-fitted contact lenses, are potential causes of stress and probably could affect the progression of the disease. As a seasoned practitioner, I was taught in my early years at the Uni that patient with KCN had "difficult" personalities associated with even some psychological trends. But now I understand that all a that was BS: Are chronic patients with symptoms trying to cope with a disease without a cure and trying to survive in this world. If you don't have stress you were not human!!
Fernando J Fernandez-Velazquez, Doctor of Optometry (USA), MCOptom
(Spaniard but enjoying Dorset)

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Thu 08 Nov 2018 9:50 pm

yes for those with the luck and ability to tolerate lenses this could have impact, BUT I am legally blind due to KC and associated complications, so not as clear cut as those with the blessing of lens wear many of whom dont realise how fortunate they are x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

FERNANDO
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby FERNANDO » Sun 11 Nov 2018 11:12 am

Hi space_cadet:

I obviously don't know your personal case, but I am positive about (almost) every single patient willing to wear contact lenses can do it. I don't want to show arrogant just confident, please forget me if I seem so!!. Nowadays we have multitude approaches for the contact lens management of KCN from soft lenses to sclerals. I could agree there are not many places around the UK, as many optometrists don't want to get involved with complicated cases as they do fairly well fitting disposables. From my short experience practising in England, my feeling is that the NHS has also serious flaws in dealing with them as in every part schemes and arrangements are different and heavily dependent on the location.

Regards
Fernando J Fernandez-Velazquez, Doctor of Optometry (USA), MCOptom
(Spaniard but enjoying Dorset)

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Sun 11 Nov 2018 6:43 pm

agree with you the NHS is very much a postcode lottery which is frustrating, here in Leeds (Yorkshire) I have been told that my eye that had a graft has far too much scar tissue from countless infections and rejection episodes and regrafting to make lenses possible and my other eye is too fragile and comprimised due to infection and a cataract to consider lens wear for it.

So I opted to embrace blind life which was not easy but one of those things that makes up a small part of who I am n doesn't define me nor limit me although does frustrate the heck out of me at times.

x

Return to “General Discussion Forum”