New older diagnosis

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Wayn0
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

New older diagnosis

Postby Wayn0 » Mon 20 Aug 2018 7:26 am

Hi all.

I’m glad I’ve found this group.

I’m now 61 and started having vision problems 18 months ago - I have private medical insurance and 1st consultant diagnosed cataracts - luckily (?) due to his awful rude, abrupt manor I got a 2nd private opinion and was diagnosed with Keratoconus - apparently very rare to get it at my age. This diagnosis was confirmed by the consultant ophthalmologist at QE hospital Welwyn. I also had a 3D image of the inside of my eye carried out by Radlett Opticians ( optical technologist of the year !)

The consultant didn’t seem to want to do anything- telling me cornea transplant is too risky infection wise as is ribo flavin drops with ultra violet .

My original optician has told me in 45 years of practicing he has never heard of anyone of my age developing it .

Basically I don’t know what to do ? It doesn’t hurt - I just can’t focus out of my left eye. Some days are worse than others..

Any ideas?

Tia

Wayn0

Lia Williams

Re: New older diagnosis

Postby Lia Williams » Mon 20 Aug 2018 8:30 am

Hello Tia,

Welcome to the forum.

You are correct in thinking that it is unusual to develop keratoconus at your age. It typically first occurs in teens or early twenties but there are cases where people have discovered keratoconus much later. Usually these are milder cases.

When people are first diagnosed the eyesight can often be corrected with contact lenses. Cross linking is ususally only done when there is evidence of progression over six months and grafts when vision can no longer be corrected with contact lenses. There are lots of different types contact lenses for keratoconus and it may take time to find the most suitable one for you.

To understand more about keratoconus do have a look at the videos from the last keratoconus conference.

https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... -videos-2/

You may also find it useful to learn more about keratoconus by attending our next conference which is on 15th September in Birmingham.

https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... onference/

Lia

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: New older diagnosis

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 22 Aug 2018 9:10 am

Just to add that if you'd like our information booklet on keratoconus, do e-mail your postal addresss to anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk and I'll put one in the post to you. As Lia says, contact lenses usually make a big difference. Most of us get our lenses from a hospital eye department where optometrists are expert at fitting KC eyes. There are also opticians in private practice with a special interest in KC. You'll find some on our list of KC friendly optometrists on the home page of our site (under publications).
And I have met someone else who was diagnosed with KC at 60 so you're not completely alone!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”