Spare lenses - are they are luxury or a necessity?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lia Williams

Spare lenses - are they are luxury or a necessity?

Postby Lia Williams » Tue 14 Aug 2018 5:34 pm

I've just read the latest newsletter and reading about the AGM made me think - are spare lenses a necessity or a luxury?

I've worn contact lenses for a long time and it was when I was at university I realised that, as I could no longer see with my glasses, I would be totally lost without my lenses so I bought a spare pair.

Since then I have always had a spare pair which I take with me wherever I go. These days my spare pair is usually my old lenses which I know will do until I get a replacement if I were to lose one.

I clean my spare lenses regularly and keep them stored in solution so if a problem arises and I have to take remove a lens I can just swap to the clean spare lens rather than try to clean a lens when I'm out and about.

So for me spare lenses are a necessity.

I'd love to know your views.

Lia

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Spare lenses - are they are luxury or a necessity?

Postby Grant » Tue 14 Aug 2018 11:09 pm

Agreed. First time one of my lenses broke and I found out it was 3/4 weeks for a replacement I bought a spare pair, just couldn't function well enough at work on one eye. With subsequent prescription changes I've just kept the previous ones as spares.

I must admit I don't think to clean the spares, just keep them in the manufacturers vial. I don't carry them with me either, just leave them at home.

brian-ire
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brian-ire » Wed 15 Aug 2018 4:24 pm

I've always been told not to bother witch a spare lens. I am not sure if this is because the NHS wouldn't allow it but even before I was able to get my lens on the NHS I remember being persuaded not to have a second back up lens.

I do have some old lenses hat I could use in case of an emergency but my vision would be horrific and tolerance would be very low. Like Grant I don't clean them or carry them with me.

I do spend a lot of time worrying about the whereabouts of my lens knowing the trouble I'd have if I was to simply mislay them.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Wed 15 Aug 2018 5:08 pm

if i was able to tolerate lenses and they worked for me yes theyd be luxuary but something id feel i needed on me at all times just like I have spare mental health and physicalhealth meds with me for emergency situations id see spare lenses as no different as still something my health requires to function so why deny myswelf that?
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 23 Aug 2018 5:45 pm

Grant wrote:I must admit I don't think to clean the spares, just keep them in the manufacturers vial. I don't carry them with me either, just leave them at home.

brian-ire wrote:I don't clean them or carry them with me.

The reason I clean my lenses regularly so as to keep them in a "ready to wear" state. Typically one is advised to store RGPs dry as over time the storage solution tends to evaporate from storage containers leaving lenses covered in a dry white film. If I were to store them dry I would then need to have all the solutions with me as well as the lenses. I carry them with me so that if I did I lose one I could put my spare in to see my way home.

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 23 Aug 2018 5:49 pm

Grant wrote:I must admit I don't think to clean the spares, just keep them in the manufacturers vial. I don't carry them with me either, just leave them at home.

brian-ire wrote:I don't clean them or carry them with me.

The reason I clean my lenses regularly so as to keep them in a "ready to wear" state. Typically one is advised to store RGPs dry as over time the storage solution tends to evaporate from storage containers leaving lenses covered in a dry white film. If I were to store them dry I would then need to have all the solutions with me as well as the lenses. I carry them with me so that if I did I lose one I could put my spare in to see my way home.[/quote]

space_cadet wrote:for emergency situations id see spare lenses as no different as still something my health requires to function so why deny myswelf that?

I think that sums it up. By having spare lenses available gives one the reassurance that one can function if a lens is lost or misplaced.

Lia

Pat Chinnery
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Pat Chinnery » Mon 15 Oct 2018 11:49 am

I had a contact lens appointment at Windsor on Friday and broached the question about getting a spare set of lenses. The immediate response was no problem, I needed one lens replacing due to wear so now have X2 RH & X1 LH on the way.

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Tue 23 Oct 2018 8:48 am

They are a necessity but spares have to be paid for and there's no accommodation by eye hospitals for income ditto solutions. PALS state (I have it in writing) if people on £74 a week or less can't afford it for friends & family to pay, I kid you not.

Stirchley Cortez
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Stirchley Cortez » Sun 11 Nov 2018 11:07 am

If it's affordable I'd definitely recommend spare lenses.
My RGP fell out while cycling back from work but due to a series of unfortunate events in my local hospital Eye department I was unable to get an appointment to sort a replacement lens. As my job was driving I had to try and wear an old RGP I'd found which was very painful and must have further scarred my cornea. I tried every way possible to get a replacement but it wasn't possible and I had to give my job up.
I'm aware the increasing steepness of my cornea meant I was probably past tolerating any RGPs but if I'd had a spare it would have given me time to get things sorted.
I know this is a more extreme example but if you rely on your lens it's not worth taking the risk of being without it for any period of time.
And yes, even if you don't use the lens you have to regularly change the fluid as they will completely dry out in the case.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Thu 06 Dec 2018 11:19 am

I still don't know how I've managed to have around 4 maybe 5 years worth of lenses for free over the NHS!

Kind of worried I'm suddenly going to be hit with a big bill lol :shock:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”