Longlasting use of Scleral Lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

VeganMan
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Longlasting use of Scleral Lenses

Postby VeganMan » Wed 04 Jul 2018 8:19 pm

Hi Recently I needed to change my optometrist. The new guy told me two things the previous optometrist nor the doctors told me:
He claimed that you need to replace mini scleral lenses after sometime (even that it feels comfortable and causes no issues). I have to mention that the mini scleral lens is 5 yo. So do you need to change mini scleral lenses after some time?
Secondly he told me that scleral lenses are unhealty for the eye since it prevents air ventilation. Now no one ever told mr that. Is it true thst scleral lenses are unhealty?
Thanks.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Longlasting use of Scleral Lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 06 Jul 2018 10:20 am

Hi and welcome,
As far as I know, all contact lenses need to be replaced after some time. It probably varies according to the type of lens and the individual wearing them, but 5 years is a good innings for a lens!
I'm surprised about the 'unhealthy' comment. Mini sclerals are now widely prescribed if rgp lenses aren't suitable by many of the top hospital eye clinics, where most of the optometrists who are expert in KC work. Of course, every individual is different, so a lens that may be good for one person's eyes isn't necessarily good for another's. But to say that sclerals generally aren't healthy isn't right.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”