Help with paying for lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

StuChenko
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Help with paying for lenses

Postby StuChenko » Tue 03 Jul 2018 1:45 pm

I had a check up last week where they told me I had a chipped lens and ordered me a new one. I was expecting to be exempt from payment as I'm on ESA (I have autism as well as KC), but they've told me I can't have an exemption as I had a free pair in September. I can't afford to pay for the new lens, but I also can't not wear the chipped one, which the hospital advised against, because I'm studying for a degree and need to read a lot. I was sure it used to be two free pairs a year, but now they're saying one.

I'm really distressed about this and it's causing a bit of a meltdown. Does anyone know where I can find clear guidance on exemptions or extra help with lenses?
I've looked online, but I can't find anything that has enough detail or is relevant to my situation.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Help with paying for lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 03 Jul 2018 2:52 pm

Hello Stu and welcome,
Sadly I think this is the rule for people on certain benefits, who are entitled to free lenses but that does not apply to spare or replacement lenses due to loss or damage when the normal NHS charge applies. This seems very unfair on people with a limited income. I will check this out with the hospital I go to and let you know what they say.
One thought in the meantime - do you get Disabled Students Allowance? If you do, this might be something DSA would cover - they certainly fund things like laptops with special software for people with a visual impairment.

StuChenko
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby StuChenko » Tue 03 Jul 2018 3:43 pm

Thank you very much. And yes I do get DSA, I hadn't thought about asking if they could help, that's a good idea, thanks.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 04 Jul 2018 12:25 pm

Well, I was wrong in my previous post. Exemptions from payment don't apply to spare lenses, but at Moorfields Eye Hospital, an exemption for those who are entitled to free lenses would apply to a damaged lens that needed to be replaced as there would be a clinical need for the lens. That's the case for rgp lenses - it might be different for more complex lenses such as sclerals. This is the guidance that they issue.
https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/faq/conta ... -questions
I'm afraid I don't know whether all hospital eye clinics have the same policy or whether it varies from hospital to hospital. I hope you manage to get this resolved - do let us know.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”