Dalk partial transplant and contact sports?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Nick4844
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Dalk partial transplant and contact sports?

Postby Nick4844 » Mon 25 Jun 2018 11:17 pm

Hello all, I'm new to this form and was just wondering if anyones had experience with the dalk surgery and combat sports. My doctor said it's definitely not a smart thing to do, but I was wondering if there's any special type of protective head gear u could wear to be able to do this like wingchun , sanda, bjj and things like that. I just had the transplant done 2 months ago but I won't be trying to do any of this untill 8-10 months from now

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Dalk partial transplant and contact sports?

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 27 Jun 2018 10:26 am

Hi Nick and welcome,
I know nothing about combat sports and the sort of protective head gear that's available. But your doctor probably explained that a grafted eye is always going to be weaker, and any blow to the eye would threaten the graft. So the strong advice after a graft is to avoid any contact sports which I realise is hard if that is your passion. Maybe others here will have some experience of whether any protective head gear would be good enough, but I'd always check it out with your surgeon beforehand. A donated cornea is a precious gift and deserves to be well looked after!
I hope all is going well after the operation.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”