RGP lenses and hybrid lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

BlindBat2020
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

RGP lenses and hybrid lenses

Postby BlindBat2020 » Sat 23 Jun 2018 11:35 pm

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so if this isn’t posted in the wrong place or has been asked a million times, I apologise in advance.

I was diagnosed with keratocnuc a year ago wen I noticed I could not read the screen no more. I’ve since had cross linking which just made my vision worse in my left eye. I have it in both eyes, left being extremely severe.

I may have the graft in the future. However for now I wanted to know where can I get my RGP lenses and where can I get the most modern and updated versions which are most comfy.
Also do hybrids work as well as I have seen them online, does anyone know any places I can get them in the uk, more so in the Midlands of up north. Right now I’m in the process of getting standard GP lenses from specsavers for £100 and they are just the old standard ones with no comfort material. Honestly price ain’t a constraint, is hapily pay £10,000 for my vision and life back. Any help would be mostly appreciated, dealing with this at 20 is a pain and annoying.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: RGP lenses and hybrid lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 24 Jun 2018 2:50 pm

Hello and welcome,
Most of us get our lenses from a hospital contact lens department, where you'll normally find a wide range of lenses and optometrists who have a lot of experience in fitting people with keratoconus. Most of the large city hospitals have their own contact lens department - eg Birmingham and West Midlands Eye Centre, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Derby, Sheffield, Leeds and others, depending on where you live/work. Or, if you prefer to go privately, have a look at our list of KC friendly optometrists https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... ometrists/
for someone near you.
Good luck.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”